    is on but the second light starts for about 30 seconds and goes out. Any
    suggestions? Does this have anything to do with the CMOS battery? It is
    the original. Dimension D-300. Thanks Jeff

    Jeff, Jul 1, 2005

  2. Jeff

    Fred Mau Guest

    The D300, if I recall correctly, is vintage '98 or '99 ?

    I'd replace the CR2032 battery anyway just on general principle. They're
    only about $3 or $4. They are SUPPOSED to be good for 10 years
    theoretically, but in actual usage I would presume somewhat less.

    I have HEARD that there are some Dells that won't boot at all if the CMOS
    battery is bad, but I've never actually seen this myself. What I typically
    see with a dead battery is that it boots right into CMOS setup with an
    "invalid configuration" error.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Jeff

    John O Guest

    Just a thought but if the CPU fan is not running on the back of the case,
    that may be a problem. I am not sure about the older Dimensions but the 3rd
    wire verifies that the fan is spinning. If that verification is not assured,
    the system will not run. The Dell support site has a ton of information
    including service and troubleshooting manuals for the D300.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dalex/Docs.htm

    Regards,
    John O.

    John O, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks I seem to have located the problem. I re seated the video card, it
    took a few times but now everything seems ok. I noticed some lines on the
    monitor and that clued me in to think it was the problem. I even replaced
    the card with another one I had but didn't solve the problem until I found
    the right spot. Jeff

    Jeff, Jul 2, 2005