    minimum?

    Thanks in advance for any feedback!

    Gabe

    Gabe Ormsby, Oct 28, 2003

  2. I installed it on an older PowerBook G3 "Lombard," with a 333MHz G3 and
    192MB of RAM. Honestly, it runs fairly well as far as the processor
    goes, but it gets seriously bogged down by not having enough memory,
    particularly if I have multiple users signed on with the Fast User
    Switching. I'd say, honestly, 256MB of RAM is a bare minimum; at least
    twice that would be ideal.

    Garner Miller, Oct 28, 2003

  3. This is somewhat a matter of taste, but I think those
    machines are fast enough, but don't have nearly enough
    memory. I would aim for a minimum of 512mb of memory.

    Daniel Packman, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Gabe Ormsby

    Marc Heusser Guest

    I'm using Jaguar on a 500 MHz G3 machine with 384 MB of RAM. (Pismo PB)
    Works well.

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

    Marc Heusser, Oct 28, 2003
  5.
    Stephen O. Lidie, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Gabe Ormsby

    Guest Guest

    First, memory is an extremely important issue. A very fast computer with
    a small amount of memory will quickly get bogged down. I have personal
    experience with this. My new G4 PowerBook had a defective RAM module and
    I installed Panther with only 256mb. It felt much slower than my
    QuickSilver desktop (which is a much slower machine but with 1gb of
    RAM). My replacement RAM came today and I am a much happier camper

    I installed Panther on a few test-bed machines at work anticipating that
    I'll roll it out between 1st & 2nd semester. I have some 400mhz G3 iMacs
    I've upgraded to 288mg and they are running Panther just as well as they
    run Jaguar. ie acceptable but somewhat slow.

    I also installed it on our somewhat souped up original tangerine iBook -
    288 mb and a 300Mhz G3. That's a computer I know quite well and I used
    Jaguar on it for about 6 months. Using Jaguar and Word I felt it was
    somewhat faster.

    Guest, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Apple says a G3 with 128MB is the minimum supported configuration. They
    don't actually say it's enough, because enough is highly context
    dependent. I have not so far tried Panther on such a machine. I have
    tried Jaguar on similar machines and found it usuable for some tasks,
    but eventually annoying. I've also tried Panther on two machines so far
    (both G3s, one with only 128MB) and found it to be noticeably faster
    than Jaguar on both.

    Gregory Weston, Oct 29, 2003
  8. I installed Panther on my iBook Dual USB, 500hz, 768MB laptop yesterday. I
    must say that the upgrade really surprised me. I feel like I have a new
    laptop. I think it runs about 10-15 % faster compared to the 10.2.8 version
    I had. Every program is running as a dream, not a single problem during the
    upgrade.

    Well done Apple.

    Trond Arne Velund

    Trond Arne Velund, Oct 29, 2003
  9. Gabe Ormsby

    Gabe Ormsby Guest

    Thanks all for your input. We're getting a new iBook G4 with 256 MB -
    I'll see how Panther does with it before adding to it, but I'll
    probably get all our other computers up to 512 - RAM's cheap these
    days.

    -Gabe

    Gabe Ormsby, Nov 7, 2003
  10. Gabe Ormsby

    David Lesher Guest

    I seem to recall one of the G3 PB's had a major flaw preventing use
    of OSX at all. The ""cure"" was a new CPU board or something equally
    impractical.

    The trouble is, I can't recall which model it was. I think it was
    the oldest -- the one with 2 PCMCIA slots & a serial port but no
    USB. (Wallstreet? I always get the names mixed up..) Or was it the
    next one, with USB but no Firewire?

    Before I turn a good OS9 installation into junk, which one was it?

    David Lesher, Nov 23, 2003
  11. Gabe Ormsby

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    Yup. It isn't a big deal unless you don't know about it and wonder why
    your new hard drives craps up your system after a couple of days :)

    Paul Fuchs, Nov 24, 2003
  12. Gabe Ormsby

    David Lesher Guest

    (Mike Rosenberg) writes:

    I asked:
    I could not find "Family ID" in the PB's ASP output.

    I did find it has a Machine ID of 312 and Mactracker then told me that's
    a ""PDQ"" and it has cache; so it's not the one I worried about...

    Thanks..

    David Lesher, Nov 25, 2003