    reason I ask is that when I connect a USB harddrive to either of the front
    panel ports, they are not detected but the rear USB ports immediately see
    the new hardware and make it available to the OS

    Heikki Lehto, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Heikki Lehto

    Pat Conover Guest

    Don't know much about the Precision 650, but it has been my experience that
    some of the front USB ports on other Dells (Dimensions 8200 and 4550) don't
    have enough power for a USB harddrive, card readers or other devices that
    need more power. HTH

    Pat Conover
    Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.
    *nospam*

    Pat Conover, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Heikki Lehto

    Heikki Lehto Guest

    Pat Conover wrote
    thanks for the reply.
    would the above apply as my USB harddrive has it's own powersupply and uses
    the USB port only for the data transfer (ie. does not draw power from the
    port) ?

    well, at any rate, both of the rear USB ports work fine, it's just a pain to
    reach back there ... :)

    Heikki Lehto, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Heikki Lehto

    Pat Conover Guest