Precision 670 makes fastest video card underperform.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Giovanni Azua, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    I had originally the following rig from DELL:
    -----------------------------------
    Dual Xeon 3.2GHz/800Mhz/1MB
    2GB RAM DDR2 400 ECC Dual Channel
    Intel E7525 chipset EM64T
    128MB PCI-E ATI FIREGL V3100 (ELGA)
    80GB SATA HDD 7200rpm
    36GB SCSI HDD 10K rpm
    16X DVD +/- RW + Soft
    16X DVD ROM
    Win XP Pro SP2
    -----------------------------------

    Recently replaced the 128MB PCI-E ATI FIREGL
    V3100 (ELGA) by the fastest Video Card in the market:
    EVGA nVidia 7800GTX KO featuring GPU 490Mhz
    and 1300Mhz memory. Although the gaming experience
    improved dramatically, the new configuration benchmark
    is surprisingly low e.g. using 3DMark05 I get 7400 score.

    Is there any way to overclock or improve the access
    overall PC speeds e.g.

    - Getting faster memory modules? mine are 400Mhz would the
    whole thing go faster if these are replaced by faster ones?
    - How can I find out exactly where is the bottleneck?
    - Overclock any of the components e.g. FSB or CPUs? how?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Best Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, Jan 7, 2006