    Would there be any problem using a GeForce or Radeon pair of cards
    in the machine. Again, I have failed to get the answer on Google.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Oct 1, 2010

  2. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    Any PCI Express video cards will do... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 2, 2010

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    That is what I had assumed when I bought the machine. I will put
    in my two old Nvidia cards at first.

    Do you know what one gets by paying up for the the workstation
    cards? I know that autocad programs can shift a lot of the burden
    from the CPUs to the GPUs, but I wonder if Photoshop, After Effects,
    Flash Pro and Premier Pro can use them, or if I should stick with
    the cheaper consumer models.

    Thanks again,

    Guest, Oct 2, 2010
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have been told that can be risky.

    When I have used two video cards I have made sure they use the same
    driver package.

    The video card coming with my new T7500 is not even listed on the ATI
    driver page, so it makes me a bit nervous. (256MB ATI FireMV 2260).

    I will probably start with my two old Nvidia GeForce cards (an 8800
    GTS and an 7900 GTX), then think about getting an higher end one.

    Actually I might start with just one, and experiment with dual monitor
    color calibration. ColorVision (Spyder) has told me I need either a
    dual LUT card or two cards to independently color calibrate both monitors.

    However Windows 7 has a utility that seems to allow windows to assign
    different color profiles to different monitors, bypassing the LUT in
    the graphics card. Who to believe???

    Guest, Oct 3, 2010
  5. Guest

    me Guest

    Andrew,

    I wondered much the same when I researched mine. From what I could see, the
    main advantage was in the certified drivers for the video cards offered by
    Dell. They are effectively tested and guaranteed to work with several
    industry standard video packages and tend to miss out the latest bells and
    whistles, that gamers like, for better stability.
    I plumped for an ATI FirePro V5700 in mine, as the specs looked ok and I'm
    not a gamer as such. It has dual DisplayPort outputs and one dual link DVI.
    I'm using DisplayPort to DVI adapters driving a pair of Samsung SynchMaster
    2343 monitors. The setup works well for me and I use Photoshop and
    Lightroom, but haven't chosen a video editing package as yet so can't
    comment there. The latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom are 64bit
    capable which I think makes some difference. I would expect something like
    Premier to be capable of using any additional GPU power. I have downloaded
    the free trial, but not tried it as yet!

    Cheers,

    JR.

    me, Oct 4, 2010
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Are you able to properly color calibrate both monitors with one
    graphics card?
    I think they use OpenGL, but I am not sure how much difference it would
    make. I have the CS4 versions, I usually skip a generation, so I might
    get CS6 in a year or so.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Oct 4, 2010
  7. Guest

    me Guest

    To be honest, I've not tried. There is a slight colour difference across
    the two monitors that I have only coarsely corrected by hand. The ATI
    Catalyst Control Centre does seem to allow individual gamma, brightness and
    contrast for each output (and therefore each monitor) separately. I also
    see that there are similar adjustments for video mode too, but mine are all
    set to "use the application settings".
    I use CS4 too and whenever I start the program it comes up with a reminder
    that "Photoshop now uses graphic card acceleration and to check for the
    latest drivers", etc. I recall that I have only done one update for this
    particular card, and I couldn't say if it made a great difference, but it
    does seem to work well and is quite fast. I normally use raw images and the
    camera converter is quite good. It certainly doesn't seem to tax the
    cpu's - most delay I find is accessing various files stored around and about
    my system
    When I looked for more information about the T7500 on Google, there were
    only a few reviews available, and the only one I found useful was
    http://www.redmonk.com/cote/2009/10/01/thebeast/

    At least this chap seemed to use computers for a living, whereas everyone
    else were just reviewers...

    Cheers,

    JR.

    me, Oct 4, 2010
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It must be close if you do not notice a big difference between your
    onscreen colors and your prints. I color calibrate my screens using
    Spyder and have a Epson 3800 printer with good profiles for each type
    of paper I use. This was all on the dead computer, which had two
    video cards for the independent monitor calibration. I am trying to
    figure out which cards support separate calibration (dual LUT tables).
    Nobody seems to be able to tell me. Datacolor (Spyder) just says to
    contact the card builder, but the card builders do not seem to have
    that information on their websites. I send a couple of emails to
    their tech support. We will see if I get an answer.

    The short term fix would be just to use the two old cards. That might
    be a long term fix too, as I am not a gamer either...

    Thanks,
    Conversions from my Canon 5DII took a fair amount of time on my old
    computer (10-20 seconds). Just conversion from the camera raw to
    the DNG format took 5-10. I expect that will be a lot faster with the
    new machine. But that would not be using the OpenGL.
    I'll check it out.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Oct 5, 2010