Presario 1260 bios upgrade (was: Upgrade to Win 2k or XP fails/hangs)

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Tom Garcia, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Tom Garcia

    Tom Garcia Guest

    I know this is an old post, but for any other readers, I just
    successfully installed w2k on a 1260, without any magic keypresses to
    disable ACPI.. every time a reboot happened I had to switch off the
    machine and let it cold-start, however, otherwise the screen would corrupt
    and the machine eventually hang (which is probably demonstrating the ACPI
    problem!).

    However, I am seeing the hard drive spin down after about 60 seconds of
    inactivity, regardless of sleep time settings in BIOS or control panel.
    Earlier posts suggest this is a known problem with the 1260 and that some
    BIOS upgrade fixed it. However, I can't find specifically a BIOS upgrade
    at:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=95003&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=20

    Does anyone have one?

    (Another FYI for the archives: my floppy drive is broken. The ROMpaq for
    the KBC/battery controller seemed to install fine by extracting
    files from the disk image and booting Win98 to safe mode command prompt.
    Hope I'll have as much success with the BIOS upgrade ;-)

    Tom Garcia, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Tom Garcia

    HH Guest

    No BIOS updates are listed for the 1260 for any OS on the HP site, as far as
    I can tell. W2K was not a supported OS on the 1200s, so that is likely the
    reason.
    HH

    HH, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Tom Garcia

    Tom Garcia Guest

    Compaq support just told me the upgrade wasn't available, but some
    wading reveals sp9678 on the FTP site, fixing the spin down problem. The
    same update allegedly applies for many 12xx models. Hooray.

    (But seems later BIOS upgrades to fix ACPI issues were never released :/.)

    snip

    Tom Garcia, Jul 26, 2004