Presario 17xl262 (Cdn version of 17xl265)

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Darwin, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Darwin

    Darwin Guest

    Hello,

    I have been trying in vain for years to find out two things about upgrading
    the cpu in this laptop. First, how fast can I go and second, and more
    importantly, what cpu platform connector do I need? AIDA32 identifies it as
    a mobile uPGA2 while WCPUID will only say that it is a mobile platform.
    Intel's Processor Frequency ID tool is the main source of the confusion
    because it identifies it as either uPGA2 or uBGA2! I know that the
    motherboard was changed for the 17xl3xx series and higher. Compaq has been
    completely unhelpful with this so I am turning here, hoping that someone
    knows the answer!

    Finally, on a related note, is an increase from PIII-600mhz to 850 or higher
    worth the effort/aggravation? I am hoping to go to a ghz+. The cpu's are
    inexpensive but I wonder if my time, money, and energy might be better used
    using the equipment I have or saving for a new laptop?!

    Many thanks,

    Mike

    Darwin, Aug 29, 2003