Presario 2100 broken power connector

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by BillyBA, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. BillyBA

    pab1953 Guest

    Here's an update from HP Power Connector Hell ..

    When last we spoke, children, Uncle Phil had a piece of the ol
    connector stuck in the motherf%&#&^board. Well, i
    desperatation and with not a little good luck, the heated solderin
    iron judiciously rammed into the offending piece eventually made i
    yield and come free.

    I installed the new connector purchased on eBay, did some really ugl
    soldering (my first attempt in this life), and everything worked

    And, lo, there was joy in the land!.

    ... For 10 days

    After 10 days of working just fine, the new connector went on th
    fritz. Or at least the HP recognized the power cord being plugged i
    less and less. Finally, it didn't recognize it at all. And the
    finally the battery drained -- and all was dark in the land, and ha
    been for several days (and with another mess of work stranded on th
    laptop -- I fought furiously against the dying battery to burn a C
    with this new content, but I lost the battle, the CD wouldn't burn)

    Now an expert at dismantling a 2100 -- I can almost do it in my slee
    -- I've taken the beast apart two or three times scouting for clue
    to the latest dilemma. The new connector is rock solid (held wit
    solder and Gorilla glue). Don't know what the problem is. Any ideas

    One other thing. When I took the machine apart, an mb component fel
    off -- a half inch square by quarter inch gray block below the righ
    arm of the cooling fan "brace." There are two of these "blocks
    present, with this on them: 1206-OR5 / TMP 336T. Any idea what the
    are and how they affect my sorry equation? I Gorilla-glued on the on
    that fell off and it held fine

    Also: will it affect start-up if the antenna connectors on th
    underside of the mother are not connected. Didn't seem to, but the
    were too fiddly, so I left them

    BTW Thanks for everyone's help and advice. And I look forwar
    appreciately to the next batch in the hope you can help bail me ou
    of the present mess

    pab1953, Dec 11, 2005

  2. BillyBA

    stargazer257 Guest

    pab1953

    Things "falling off the MB" doesn't sound good. Can you post/lin
    some pictures? I don't have the 2100 I was repairing anymore (it wa
    my sister's) to compare with

    SG25

    stargazer257, Dec 11, 2005

  3. BillyBA

    Mark Guest

    An irritant that can also cause loss of power is failure at the DC
    cord/plug connection. This occurs when flexing of the cord's wire
    strands causes them to fracture inside the insulation, which typically
    occurs right where the cord enters the plug that you insert into your
    (new!) board receptacle. It usually goes thru an initial intermittent
    period, but will work temporarily if you grasp the cord just behind the
    plug and push it toward the plug body and see if power is restored. If
    so, the cure is to snip off the old plug, get a new one, and solder it
    to a "fresh" wire portion an inch or two farther back. While it's
    a smaller repair job than you've already accomplished, it requires
    more genteel soldering technique compared to the board jack, and
    getting the polarity correct (which wire is where) is also essential.
    An inexpensive voltmeter would help with this, in addition to seeing if
    there's any power present at the existing plug or not.

    As for the loose board component, that's particularly disturbing;
    they normally don't just fall off! I don't have a 2100, but the
    presence of numbers on the stray part suggests that it's not just a
    spacer or something, and probably needs to be soldered in place. (If
    so, the Gorilla-glue will present a problem.) Speculation: parts with
    that shape and size are often small transformer or inductors used in
    power supply switching and regulating. Googling reveals that the
    letters "TMP" might be "Taipei Multipower Electronics", which
    makes such devices. Does the other (?) one apparently still in place
    show a solder fillet at each end like the other surface-mounted devices
    on the board? With luck, the loose one somehow got karate'd off the
    board, and might possibly be soldered back in place, unless the
    part's -- or most important, the board's -- solder pads were
    damaged. You might surf around in the "products" section of-
    http://www.tmpco.com.tw
    Do any of those coils or transformers look like the part? These are
    usually in series with essential power circuitry, so a missing one
    would indeed bring things to a halt. (This may mean your DC power cord
    mentioned earlier is not the problem, but that's little solace by
    comparison.) Replacing the loose part with the same or a replacement
    part is a possibility if the motherboard itself is undamaged, but
    things are now officially becoming difficult.

    As for the wireless antenna, it hurts nothing if not connected. I'd
    connect it the last time you assemble the laptop, just to have the
    capability available, though. (And yes, I do know the joke is how to
    KNOW when the last time IS!)

    Mark, Dec 14, 2005
  4. BillyBA

    shrew Guest

    is this it? the ones located with one having the blue sticker on it
    http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/7699/picture213qn.th.jpg

    if so then they indeed to need to be soldered in place and would cause
    said problem. And if you are unsure about your soldering skill i would
    suggest you not attempt this till you are, find a friend or someone
    whom you trust to do the work.

    shrew, Dec 21, 2005
  5. BillyBA

    pab1953 Guest

    I don't think it's that one. My digital camera's out being fixed o
    I'd send a photo. Whatever the piece was, I glued it into place an
    it seemed to hold fine. But of course maybe it's connected to th
    problems I'm having. Yet everything works okay on the laptop whe
    it's being powered from the battery. But now the battery's drained

    pab1953, Dec 21, 2005
  6. BillyBA

    pab1953 Guest

    On reflection, I guess this photo is accurate -- but the piece tha
    fell off isn't visible -- it's "north" of the blue sticker item
    under the cooling component

    pab1953, Dec 22, 2005
  7. BillyBA

    spazbam Guest

    sanmor8wrote:
    MOTHERBOARD OR IS IT A SEPERATE PART

    Ugh, you described my problem perfectly....i bought 3 new adaptors
    like an idiot thinking that was the problem, then i got so irritated
    i thoguht about selling it on ebay lol...i do not believe i am that
    technically saavy to fix it myself. Is anybody still out there to
    help out, maybe fix it for a price?

    spazbam, Sep 21, 2006
  8. BillyBA

    HH Guest

    More than likely, the connector is hard soldered directly on the
    motherboard, which will likely need to be pulled from the notebook.
    Possdibly it can be made secure with a re-solder.

    HH

    HH, Sep 21, 2006
  9. BillyBA

    Max Lynn Guest

    I have had a similar problem with my Presario 2400. I disassembled the
    entire unit (and believe me it is a terribly intricate job). What I found
    was that the power plug is on a small board (less than 1" square) which
    plugs into the motherboard. I unsoldered the external plug from this small
    board, and after playing around with it, I found that the little plastic tip
    on the male side of the plug was preventing contact from being made with the
    on-board, female side of the plug. I trimmed some of the plastic away from
    the tip (sort of made it conical in shape) and it has been working
    reasonably well since then. What was the amazing is that I was able to
    resolder the plug to the board and completely reassemble the whole laptop
    and it worked!! I say the plug has been working "reasonably well". That is
    to say, if you aren't careful when you move the machine around, the cord
    side (male) part of the connector sort of works itself out of the side of
    the unit very easily. This is sure a weak link in this whole setup, but I
    don't have a good solution. I suppose you might be able to find a new
    on-board connector, but I tried and had a lot of trouble identifying the
    correct part.

    Good luck
    Max Lynn

    Max Lynn, Sep 25, 2006
  10. BillyBA

    spazbam Guest

    I am assuming this is something you would not suggest a lay person
    doing without much computer background?

    More than likely, the connector is hard soldered directly on the

    spazbam, Sep 26, 2006
  11. BillyBA

    spazbam Guest

    Wow, thanks. Yeah i got a little bold last night and disassembled
    "some" of the backing, i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt
    come off completely i have to read the rest of the post to find out
    how others did it. But, i did find out that is most certainly the
    little plug, it's just a tiny little plastic piece that appears to
    have maybe a metal? tiny ring on the bottom. I am tempted to get the
    part of ebay, but i havent the slightest idea what it means to solder
    something. I can figure things out, but im wondering if i botch the
    job if i ruin the computer completely. I called a couple of places
    and they want to charge 75 an hour just to look at it. One guy said
    i needed a new battery? Yes these are the professionals. Theyu are
    all in agreement on one thing, i should get a new mother board. Some
    people have mentioned a docking station or "port
    replicator". Are these a viable alternative? I could still
    disconnect from the station any time i wanted correct? They are just
    a power up method alternative to this mess? I appreciate all of your
    help guys. Thank You!!

    spazbam, Sep 26, 2006
  14. BillyBA

    spazbam Guest

    Okay, i think i found someone who is going to give it a shot for
    me...but he wants one thing, a picture/diagram of where the piece
    should end up on the board...the little piece actually fell out of
    the back when i opened it up he can't place based on a prior
    positioning. Any suggestions? I see the picture above, but i cant
    tell which is the blue sticker and where thje location is ni regards
    to the rest of the board. Any suggestions?

    spazbam, Sep 27, 2006
  15. BillyBA

    Max Lynn Guest

    Not sure your unit is the same as mine. When my unit was disassembled, the
    female plug for the input power was to be found on a tiny (roughly one inch
    square) "daughter" circuit board. This tiny board in turn had a second plug
    which connected it to the system/motherboard. There was, in my case, no
    problem with this female plug or any of the internals, but I didn't discover
    that until I had desoldered the female plug from the tiny circuit board. I
    can't decipher from what you have described how the piece that fell from
    your unit fits into this picture. None of the parts that I disassembled
    would have "fallen" from the case without some urging on my part.

    Now it's difficult to describe, but I isolated my problem to the male plug
    which is on the end of the small wire which comes from the external power
    brick to the laptop. The small male plug on the end which goes into the
    side of the laptop has a short metal band near the end the end, and at the
    very tip, there's a plastic tip. The metal band is the DC ground for the
    18vDC coming from the power brick. This metal band is supposed make contact
    with a leaf spring-like contact within the laptop's female plug (the one
    that I desoldered). At the very tip of the external, male plug, I found
    that there was about a one-sixteenth inch of plastic tip which was a larger
    diameter than the metal band providing DC ground. This plastic tip would
    make contact with the leaf-like contact in the plug on the laptop, and not
    allow the metal band to connect electrically to the laptop's DC ground. I
    filed the plastic tip down to decrease its diameter, and Voila!, I got
    continuity through the plug for the 18 VDC ground from the power brick.

    Does any of this help?

    Max Lynn

    Max Lynn, Sep 28, 2006
  16. BillyBA

    stargazer257 Guest

    In the picture above (top of page 4 here at howtofixcomputers.com) the
    power jack is just out of the frame, above the left side of it. The
    person posting the picture was indicating a part (not the power jack)
    that fell off his motherboard, so don't focus on the "blue
    sticker," it's not relevant to what you want to repair. BTW,
    the view in the photo is from the left side of the laptop.

    Per your request for a picture, I can't help (I don't have the laptop
    anymore).

    As for the need for a picture, I seriously doubt that your repair
    person would need it. The power plug you are replacing is relatively
    big and it's obvious where it goes on the motherboard, plus it lines
    up with the hole in the back of the laptop.

    It's been about a year since I did my repair and IIRC, there were
    three tabs that connected the jack to the MB. They were a bit tough
    to extract (especially the one that was broken off!), but careful and
    patient persistence paid off. It was one of the more challenging jobs
    (for me) to attempt (due to risk of more damage), but the reward for a
    $5 replacement part correctly installed was worth it.

    Other suggestions: It sounds as if you read this thread so heed the
    advice and warnings. I used what had been posted to date when I did
    my repair to help me and added my comments and experiences to
    hopefully help others with the same dilemma. Make sure your repair
    person reads this thread as well. It it best read before you attempt
    the repair than after.

    Good luck and let us know how it goes,

    SG257

    stargazer257, Sep 29, 2006
  17. Let me start off saying this thread has been extremely useful. I was
    able to get my presario 2100 apart. I found that one of three prongs
    on the power adapter had snapped off.

    I've got the new part in hand, but in my haste to get the MB out
    something fell off ... a little black component with "3A 6-3V
    -/+" being the only distinguishable marks. Any help identifying
    the component and where to solder it back would be hugely
    appreciated.

    I'll try and post a picture as soon as I find my camera.

    Thanks in advance.

    - Kevin

    abortretryfail, Sep 30, 2006
  18. BillyBA

    stargazer257 Guest

    Max,

    You gave a great description of your problem and solution. Too bad
    all fixes are not that simple (at least once you figure out what the
    problem is!!).

    Just thinking here, could the plastic on your adapter's plug (that you
    had to file down) have gotten too warm and distorted (i.e.,
    "mushroomed") itself? Again, just thinking outloud here...

    stargazer257, Sep 30, 2006
  19. BillyBA

    Max Lynn Guest

    Actually, what I assumed had happened is that the contact on the laptop side
    lost some of its spring or got distorted ( I confess to having abused the
    plug while it was connected). As a result, it think the plastic began to be
    the only contact rather than the metal band. The contact is obviously a
    weak point, and may eventually fail completely, but I'll know what is wrong
    at that point. Your suggestion may be true as well. This is not a robust
    design.

    Max Lynn

    Max Lynn, Oct 1, 2006
  20. BillyBA

    Wanzi Guest

    It's almost 1 year later and I find myself surfing back to this thead
    through dumb luck! For those that missed it, my 1st posts in this
    thread are key toward fixing this problem on your own... others have
    posted and really helped out as well from what I've read.

    KK, It worked for almost a whole year and now my replacement powerjack
    fryed out on me. I can take it all apart and go through that hastle
    again, or I can get a docking station. Being that these powerjacks
    from the manufacturer and the replacement powerjack from Ebay lasts
    ~1 year in my case, I'm going to buy a port replicator / docking
    station tomorrow.

    So those of you know, either of those are indifferent to your problem
    as they both power your laptop through different means, that being
    the "docking connector" on the bottom of your laptop.
    Docking Stations are more expensive because they have the ability to
    harness 1 or 2 pci cards for expansion. So if you just want it to
    work w/out losing capacitors like 2 have mentioned, or ripping one of
    the fans off like I did (but resoldered it back on) you should
    seriously think about getting a Port Replicator. I would be dead
    against that suggestion, however... if those jacks still go bad after
    replacing them w/ a laptop that's stationary it's not worth the
    aggrevation 1ce a year to deal with IMHO.

    GG
    - Wanzi

    Wanzi, Oct 25, 2006