    fetty0565 Guest

    I got the case open and I can't get the old connector out
    HELP!!!!!!!!!

    fetty0565, Oct 28, 2006

  2. BillyBA

    fetty0565 Guest

    I also can't get two of the three prongs out of the motherboard, so
    that I can get the new one in. Is there any tricks to getting these
    out???? Also, Do I have to solder it once I get it in ??

    fetty0565, Oct 28, 2006

  3. BillyBA

    stargazer257 Guest

    fetty0565wrote:
    I also can't get two of the three prongs out of the motherboard, so
    that I can get the new one in. Is there any tricks to getting these
    out???? Also, Do I have to solder it once I get it in ??
    Those broken prongs can be a real PITA, but they can come out.

    Is there anything to grab onto with a pair of needle nose pliers
    perhaps?

    If you go back about a year in this thread, I discussed my problems
    removing the prongs and my success. It took some extra hands to pull
    gently/firmly while I heated the joint. I was suprised at how tough
    it was. I thought I was going to break the MB.

    And I am assuming that you were able to completely remove the
    motherboard (MB) to do this. If it is not completely out, you can't
    really get to everywhere you need to get.

    Those are the only tricks I can offer, check the ENTIRE thread for
    other advice as well.

    And yes, you must solder the new jack in. If you don't know how to
    solder, then you already have gone too far on your own. Not being
    critical, just a realist.

    Keep on letting us know your problems and successes. This has been a
    LONG running thread and was helpful to me a year ago when working on
    my sister's compaq. We've heard most of the problems before, so keep
    giving us a try....

    stargazer257, Nov 4, 2006
  4. BillyBA

    Wanzi Guest

    My port Replicator is sexy! W00t, no more ongoing issues w/ this crap
    and it fits in my Laptop carrying case. I'm excited about it...
    Anyways. I had a relatively large sottering gun compared to others
    used in this thread, 30 volts I think. Heat up that pos prong thing
    till it's blazing, and pullem out w/ needle nose pliers.

    Wanzi, Nov 11, 2006
  5. BillyBA

    ikenfixit Guest

    Solder wick and a 40W iron works well to clear the thru-holes also and
    then you just put the new jack in and resolder.. Be sure on the Athlon
    boards to solder the trace on the top side as this is where the
    positive connects on this revision. Mouser.com or digi-key for the
    2.5mm jacks.

    ikenfixit, Nov 27, 2006
  6. BillyBA

    mike Guest

    Be extremely careful that you get the right jack.
    I replaced one on a toshiba. Replacement jack plugged right into the
    board. Only problem was that the connector pin order was reversed.
    had to super glue it upside down and wire it in.

    Be absotively posilutely certain that the power plug pins map to the
    correct board traces. All sockets are not constructed the same.
    mike

    mike, Nov 27, 2006
  7. BillyBA

    joker333

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    tips on un-soldering old DC jack?

    hey all, very helpful forum and discussion thus far. I've made it about 4 yrs without much problem, but the jack finally died and refuses to charge/recognize the AC adaptor. i took it apart, but now can't seem to de-solder the old one off. I even have a little butane solder/blowtorch that can supposedly heat up to 1000 deg F. i've tried it at mid way (500-600), and even max temp for a couple secs, but no melting. have gotten most of the solder off using a wick at 2 of the attach sites. this 3rd one won't budge.... hints?

    joker333, Dec 2, 2006
  8. BillyBA

    RobBob Guest

    Well, thanks for the info in this thread. I've just found an issue wit
    a bad jack/plug that I compounded with a cheap knock off suppl
    replacement. With the info I've found here and on Compaq's site I'
    going to do the repair myself.

    Just thought I'd throw a few things out for those attempting th
    same...

    _PART_INFO
    'Laptopjacks.com' (http://www.laptopjacks.com) has info for DC inpu
    jacks for all kinds of machines. Am I the only one that finds a sit
    devoted to this issue amusing? Anyway, it gives you a part number t
    go with even if you don't order from them (they're pricey @ $8ea an
    $8S&H for a one-off item). For compaq presario 2100 series laptops
    the part appears to be 'CQ21325
    (http://www.laptopjacks.com/view_part.php?id=CQ21325)

    _SOLDERING_TIPS
    Generally speaking, you want high heat for short periods of time. Th
    solder should liquify almost instantly. Sustained heat on a PCB is no
    a good thing and can damage pads/traces.

    Use pure solder, not resin core stuff. It's bulky, it makes a mess an
    isn't necessary on PCB soldering.

    To remove solder, a de-soldering tool (like a mini turkey baster) ca
    suck up liquid (molten) solder or you can use solder-wick (copper mes
    that absorbes solder).

    When removing defective components, I find it easier to snip them of
    at the legs/pins and remove the individual legs one at a time instea
    of trying to get the entire thing out together.

    When soldering, I find it best to heat the pin/wire and apply solder t
    the pin. This avoids heat transfer to the board as much as possible.

    Solder joints should taper up like a hershey's kiss, not mound up lik
    a bubble. It should also be shiny. Dull/low-luster solder "balls" ar
    usually cold solder joints and are not dependable, particularly o
    something that will see some abuse

    RobBob, Dec 24, 2006
  9. BillyBA

    RobBob Guest

    I almost forgot... Did anyone notice the discrepancy between th
    computer's designated DC power requirements and the output power of th
    AC adapter?

    The guy at the service shop brought this up. The web site and adapte
    itself indicate 90Watts ([email protected]) required. The computer's D
    input sticker (on the bottom) indicates that it needs 75Watt
    ([email protected]).

    Should it make a difference, I'm using a 2175US model, product#DK576A

    RobBob, Dec 24, 2006
  10. BillyBA

    tchiseen Guest

    what a great thread on this topic.

    I'm having some problems, I recently got gifted a presario 2500 which
    was very poorly repaired by some twit in thailand or somthing, they'd
    ripped out the power jack and cut the wire on the charger so now it's
    just two wires coming out the end of it.
    The odd thing is, it actually worked. it booted up and asked me if i
    wanted to start windows in safemode. it did it once, however, and now
    wont boot at all. I had the feeling it was something to do with the
    abs. rubbish wire stripping/soldering/hot glue job someone had done,
    so i took it all apart.
    I have a few pictures of the situation the motherboard is in. I've
    looked into getting a new jack for the mobo, but re-considered it.

    I'd like to know if anyone can help me to get this to work. I'm not
    too concerned about using this as a portable computer, although it
    would be nice, I don't want to have to spend too much... I have looked
    for docking stations on ebay australia, couldnt find any. which model
    of dock should i be looking for? If I wanted to, however, judging by
    the photos, would i be able to de-solder the board and purchase a new
    charger and get it to work? I'm also considering simply re-soldering
    the cut power cable onto the board, is this a good or bad idea?

    Thanks very much for any help.

    PICS -
    http://www.imagebeaver.com/view.php?mode=gallery&g=222019

    tchiseen, Feb 25, 2007
  11. BillyBA

    stargazer257 Guest

    I can't help you with the docking station (but with that mess, it may
    be your best option seeing as you don't want to go portable with it).

    If you are handy with this type of repair, the cost of the replacement
    jack shouldn't be too much and may make it worth a try. Have patience
    however, whoever did the previous "fix" made your repair a
    bit more challenging, and iffy. So no guarantee that it will actually
    work, but at least you shouldn't be out too much $$ to try.

    Best of luck to you mate.

    stargazer257, Mar 2, 2007
  12. BillyBA

    joker333

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I haven't checked here in a while, but I've repaired my laptop around early Jan and it's holding up quite well now. The new plug (from ebay search for compaq presario 2100 or the like) fits extremely snug, altho I'm afraid that the same thing will happen again in a few years. The best solution was probably the pigtail idea someone had, but if you sit the laptop into a bag/case with that end down, it will put pressure onto the pigtail. I guess you could place it with the other end down, but it's a small area. or just not carry it around.

    about taking it apart, I probably melted some of the PCB when I did mid-heat at 500 F for too many seconds. I ended up snipping the plug off initally and then de-soldering off the tips one by one. I only took 2 of the 3 pins off, but the other pin touch the remaining tip on the board very tightly. anyway only 2 of them are used.

    as for the prior poster, the pictures look like something chewed off the plug! if you can get a clean connection on the board, it would definitely be worth your while to buy a plug for 5-10$ and try soldering it, or maybe just rigging up a pigtail with some 18 gauge wire onto the mobo and making an external female-male plug. test for continuity. I'm sort of afraid of my own skills (or lack of) on PCBs though.

    the docking station is an expensive option. hard to find part as well

    joker333, Mar 8, 2007