Presario 5000 Picture suddenly died completely (Compaq had no idea what casued it)

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Licensed to Quill, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. The Presario 5000 I left on overnight suddenly died completely. Nothing on
    screen, LEDs on monitor show no computer even connected and nothing appears
    on boot-up, no BIOS check, no cursor, no Compaq ID: Nothing except a
    functioning on/off switch.

    I e-mailed Compaq who had no idea what even might have caused it (I
    initially thought it might be the monitor itself)

    But soon I traced the fault to something to do with the Nvidia board which
    came with the computer. I took the board out and plugged the monitor into
    the SVGA plug in the motherboard and suddenly the whole thing started
    working again.

    I would just upgrade or replace the Nvidia board but as a cross check, I
    tried putting an old Diamond Multimedia 6326AGP video card into it to see if
    it might be something to do with something like the video board controller
    and the boot up process now won't get past the BIOS check. It
    identifies the card immediately on boot up as a diamond multimedia and then
    the computer freezes completely with the cursor on the next line but I can't
    do anything with it. I would suspect that there is no proper video card
    driver, - but I cant see that the computer is even getting as far as
    attaching any driver to any video board.

    Is this the indicator of a disastrously bad Nvidia board or is it something
    on the motherboard which is stopping it recognising and doing anything with
    the identification of ANY video accelerator?

    L2Q

    Also I presume that the video 'card' on the motherboard has less
    functionality or memory than the Nvidia board which came with the computer:
    Does
    anyone know HOW MUCH? Compaq didn't know this either but said that so long
    as I don't use it for gaming (which I don't) it wouldn't make any
    difference??????????

    Licensed to Quill, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Licensed to Quill

    donut Guest

    "Licensed to Quill" <> wrote in

    > The Presario 5000 I left on overnight suddenly died completely.
    > Nothing on screen, LEDs on monitor show no computer even connected and
    > nothing appears on boot-up, no BIOS check, no cursor, no Compaq ID:
    > Nothing except a functioning on/off switch.
    >
    > I e-mailed Compaq who had no idea what even might have caused it (I
    > initially thought it might be the monitor itself)
    >
    > But soon I traced the fault to something to do with the Nvidia board
    > which came with the computer. I took the board out and plugged the
    > monitor into the SVGA plug in the motherboard and suddenly the whole
    > thing started working again.
    >
    > I would just upgrade or replace the Nvidia board but as a cross check,
    > I tried putting an old Diamond Multimedia 6326AGP video card into it
    > to see if it might be something to do with something like the video
    > board controller and the boot up process now won't get past the BIOS
    > check. It identifies the card immediately on boot up as a
    > diamond multimedia and then the computer freezes completely with the
    > cursor on the next line but I can't do anything with it. I would
    > suspect that there is no proper video card driver, - but I cant see
    > that the computer is even getting as far as attaching any driver to
    > any video board.
    >
    > Is this the indicator of a disastrously bad Nvidia board or is it
    > something on the motherboard which is stopping it recognising and
    > doing anything with the identification of ANY video accelerator?
    >
    > L2Q
    >
    > Also I presume that the video 'card' on the motherboard has less
    > functionality or memory than the Nvidia board which came with the
    > computer: Does
    > anyone know HOW MUCH? Compaq didn't know this either but said that so
    > long as I don't use it for gaming (which I don't) it wouldn't make any
    > difference??????????

    My 5000 never had a Nvidia board, just the onboard video, and it's always
    worked just fine. It won't run stuff like N64 or PlayStation emulators,
    which is just as much a problem with too slow speed and too little memory
    as the video.

    I ran a hardware sniffer when I was trying to run Linux (another failure)
    and it reported 5M of video memory.

    All you'd need to get the Diamond card to work would be the proper driver.
    However, I tried using an AGP video card and though it worked, my
    Interner browsing was slowed down tremendously. I pulled the card and
    everything went back to normal.

    donut, Jul 6, 2003