    find one that resembles this one here. What should I look for? I'm kindof a
    newbie when it comes to hardware, any help appreciated.

    TIA.

    Toman, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Toman

    Rick Guest

    <grin> that's for sure. Not only is it immoral but in most cases it's
    impossible.

    A friend of mine recently tried to flash a Presario 5000T (Mitac 6513WU
    motherboard) with a Mitac bios and I've never seen a system hosed so
    completely in my life. After the flash not even the fan headers worked!
    And the damned thing doesn't have a socketed bios chip so he couldn't
    even hotflash it. In the dumpster it went.

    But if you're a glutton for punishment look through Mitac's line of
    motherboards, chances are it's one of those models. They were
    Compaq's most frequent OEM.

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Toman

    MICHAEL Guest

    It might even have a board of Compaq's own design,if it's one of the earlier
    Pentium 4 models.

    MICHAEL, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Toman

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just because someone like Mitac MADE it, doesn't mean COMPAQ didn't DESIGN
    it. In other words, it's not a standard Mitac.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Toman

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, perhaps that is true for Compaq, but not for Dell. The Dell boards are
    very Dell specific and outsourced to multiple manufacturers -- all under
    VERY strict non-disclosure, I am sure.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Toman

    Toman Guest

    Did you read the post? ;)

    It says 'Typhoon' on the back, and most (light blue) compaq labels on it
    says TPN-(some numbers). Who made boards named typhoon? Is typhoon a
    manufacturer?

    How on earth can I get info on a mitac board from 1998, btw?

    Toman, Aug 18, 2003
  7. Toman

    Rick Guest

    The only 'Typhoon' I'm aware of was made by Tyan (S1452), but it's
    definitely not that model. The S1452 was an EISA system.
    http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor/v_welcome.asp?SelLang=1

    Good luck. Mitac won't be winning any awards for website design.

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 18, 2003
  8. Toman

    Rick Guest

    While possible, it's not likely. A manufacturer such as Compaq
    would be in no big rush to give design secrets away to a much
    smaller competitor. And the whole point of OEM-ing a board
    is to save costs, much of which are design costs.

    BUT, vendor-specific changes are common, so it's very possible
    a Compaq-branded board will be different to one degree or
    another than the OEM original.

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 19, 2003
  9. Toman

    Toman Guest

    At least I know of one oddity about it: In the manual it says that one of
    the PCI slots 'have some special features'. In this slot the LT Winmodem
    (The print is labelled compaq v34) is situated.

    The whole reason I asked about this was that no other OS than win98(and
    possibly win95) work with this modem(at least not on this PC). win2k and
    winXP says it's not getting the required resources from the firmware. From
    what I read this is because of differences in how W2k+ and Win98 handle
    bios'es.(?) This modem(and LPT1) both have CPQBIOS adresses.
    I thought perhaps getting the 'original' BIOS could solve this.

    Toman, Aug 19, 2003
  10. Toman

    Toman Guest

    Thanks, that link is purple here :)
    I spent some one hr before I gave up, the site seem to be aiming at people
    who know *exactly* what they're looking for.

    Toman, Aug 19, 2003