Presario 5225 won't boot after installing new video card

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Road_Man, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Road_Man

    Road_Man Guest

    I have a Compaq Presario 5225 with Windows 98, 320 MB of RAM and a
    AMD-K6-2 533 MHz processor. It has built-in AGP graphics on th
    motherboard. It has two PCI slots, one of which has a 56K modem an
    the other which has an Ethernet card for connecting my cable modem.

    I attempted to do a cheap upgrade of the video by installing an AT
    Radeon 7000 64MB PCI video card. Even though my computer has 4 MB o
    built-in AGP graphics (expandable to 8MB with more video memory on th
    board), it has no AGP slot.... only the two PCI slots. Hence I bough
    a PCI card.

    After removing the unneeded 56K modem and installing the new vide
    card, the computer won't boot, aka the Compaq splash screen never come
    up. The fans will kick on and the drives will begin to spin, but tha
    is it. I have the monitor plugged into the new card, and the LED doe
    indeed turn green, meaning that the onboard video is disabled and i
    recognizes the new video card as being there. But it goes no furthe
    than that. I see the monitor flicker for a second at bootup, and the
    the fans come on and the drives spin. But the Compaq splash scree
    never comes up, and nothing else happens. Just a black screen.

    I disabled the drivers in Device Manager in Win 98. I also activate
    the VGA PCI Snoop setting in the system BIOS. Same result.

    When I remove the card and plus the monitor back in its old built-i
    slot, everything is normal. How can I get my computer to boot with th
    new card? Remember that the monitor does flicker at first, and the LE
    is green

    Road_Man, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Road_Man

    Ben Myers Guest

    Either the PCI graphics card was not seated properly in its slot or it is
    incompatible with the Presario 5225, which may not meet the more recent PCI
    specification. Unfortunately, the PCI specification (like USB and IDE/ATAPI) is
    a moving target. The electronic connector and slot are the same as the even
    older original PCI 1.0 spec, but there are variations from PCI 1.0 to 1.1 to 2.0
    to 2.1 to 2.2. Not all manufacturers test backward compatibility thoroughly.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Road_Man

    Terry B Guest

    see if there is a newer bios updte for the cmpaq

    Terry B, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Road_Man

    HH Guest

    Take out the PCI video card, move the monitor cable to the onboard AGP port
    and reboot. Hit F10 to enter setup. There should be a selection in the
    Advanced Section to set video initialization. Set it to PCI. Then save
    changes, shut down, reinstall the PCI video card, move the monitor cable to
    that port and boot up.
    HH

    HH, Jan 21, 2005