Presario 5686 - BIOS halts booting

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Jan-Petter Loken, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. My Presario 5686 stops during the booting process with a screen containing
    two two green buttons with the following options:
    "F1 Boot" and "F10 Computer Setup".
    The red Compaq-logo is visible for a much shorter time than before.
    After choosing F1 the booting process proceeds normally.
    This occurred for the first time after I changed the graphics card, and in
    the process accidentally switched the power-button on and off in a rapid
    succession before opening the case.

    There is no setting in the BIOS that can change this.
    I have tried to reprogram BIOS with the latest Softpaq (10911)
    and take out the battery, but to no avail.

    The online Compaq guide doesn't give me any help.

    I have read about setting the BIOS jumper to "Recovery".
    My Mobo doesn't have that option.
    I have, however, three pins that seems to have something to do with the
    CMOS.
    The two close to the battery are jumpered.
    It's written "Erase" alongside the pins.
    Vertically next to the free pin it is written "CMOS".

    The Mobo is a Compaq (Intel) 440BX/ZX.
    The BIOS is Compaq and produced by HP.

    My questions are:
    - Do I have any other option left than erasing the BIOS (or CMOS?)?
    - What do I do with the jumper to erase the BIOS?
    - How do I copy the new code into the flash memory?
    - Is erasing very hazardous compared to updating? (I have upgraded my
    Presario with, among other things, max memory and a 1 GHz CPU. For our needs
    it's a very good and reliable workhorse that I will be very sorry to screw
    up.)

    Jan-Petter Loken, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Jan-Petter Loken

    HH Guest

    Clearing CMOS is always a possible solution to issues that you describe. To
    clear CMOS on the 5686:
    1. Move the jumper at JP2 from pins 2-3 to pins 1-2
    2. Turn on the PC, allow it to boot up, then shut down
    3. Move the jumper back to pins 2-3
    4. Boot again, hit F10 to enter the BIOS and select Restore Default
    Settings.
    HH

    HH, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Thanks.
    This might be a lot easier than I expected. :)

    I have, however, not the "Restore Default Settings"-option.
    The most similar I've found is "Set Defaults and Exit". Will *set* also
    *restore* after a clearing of CMOS?

    Jan-Petter Loken, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Jan-Petter Loken

    HH Guest

    Set defaults is different terminology but is the same function as Restore
    defaults.
    HH

    HH, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Jan-Petter Loken

    doS Guest

    Eh, the graphics card bios may be causing the problem...

    doS, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Thanks a lot, HH. I feel confident to go on now.

    Thanks for the tip, doS, about the graphics card BIOS.
    I will borrow a graphics card and see what happens before I do something
    with the mobo BIOS.

    But first of all, I have to learn what a graphics card BIOS is, and how to
    fix it.
    (I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 64Mb ViVo.)
    I'll be very grateful for tips about sites that are explaining this.

    --
    JP Loken

    Jan-Petter Loken, Jun 1, 2004
  7. Jan-Petter Loken

    doS Guest

    Basically the card has a bios also, my Geforce card just died, and my system
    wouldn't boot.Used a different card, and had no problems.

    doS, Jun 1, 2004
  8. Jan-Petter Loken

    Ben Myers Guest

    Replace the (typical) 3.3v C2032 lithium battery on the motherboard. The
    symptoms are some of those seen when the motherboard battery fails.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 1, 2004
  9. Jan-Petter Loken

    HH Guest