presario 5838 keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by karenrc, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. karenrc

    karenrc Guest

    Hi All,

    This'll be short...since my computer keeps restarting and I lose
    whatever I'm working on...

    Presario 5838
    Win 98 SE
    no recent upgrades or installs

    computer spontaneously restarts...in Windows, in Dos, while various
    software is running, when nothing is running

    The monitor goes black, indicator light blinks orange
    HDD light goes out, Power light stays on and I can hear the fan still
    running

    After a few miutes, the HDD indicator light blinks, the monitor light
    comes on then the screen comes on as the system reboots (usually into
    the Scandisk with the message "to avoid seeing this screen, shut down
    windows properly"

    I've tried to run a thorough scandisk (in Dos & windows),,,it restarts
    before it can finish

    I've tried to run a virus scan and Ad-Aware full system scan

    again...it hasn't been able to complete before a restart.

    I've reinstalled windows, i've reinstalled the video drivers

    i've gone into MSConfig and unchecked anything that didn't need to be
    checked

    it's restarted itself while in safe mode

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks...Karen

    p.s. I replaced the power supply about a year ago

    karenrc, Jan 30, 2005

  2. karenrc

    doS Guest

    Can you remove the case lid, see if it does it.

    doS, Jan 30, 2005

  3. karenrc

    Ken Guest

    Restarts are often due to either an overheating processor or a memory
    failure. "doS" suggested you remove the cover from the case, and that
    is a good idea for several reasons. One is that it will allow more air
    into the case and possibly allow better cooling. Also, it will allow
    the following:

    First, is the fan for the processor running? If so, is the heat sink
    too hot to touch with your fingers?

    If you are OK on those tests, suspect your RAM if you are failing from
    a failure to a DOS floppy disk boot.

    If the DOS boot is OK, and you fail upon a HD boot, it could still be
    RAM, but could also be the HD. Take it one step at a time and tell us
    what you observed.

    Ken, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Interesting, it reboots after a few minutes, but you were able to re-
    install windows. What resources does a Windows install not use? High
    order memory.

    Over-heating and RAM problems usually manifest themselves with other
    random faults including re-boots. Do you get any other problems, such
    as hangs, Blue Screens of Death? When you say that it re-boots after a
    few minutes, how long is a few minutes?

    If a boot from a DOS floppy is stable, you could run a thorough Scandisk
    from DOS.

    There are other possibilities worth following up, all done one at a
    time. Otherwise you might not know what was the problem if you solve
    it, or create new problems and not know what caused the problem.

    Blowing out the accumulated detritus is always a good idea. Buy a can
    of compressed gas designed for blowing out dirt, you can buy them from
    computer stores and photographic stores. Hold the fans when you clean
    them, otherwise the current generated by a revolving fan may do damage.
    Pay particular attention to unoccupied ISA and memory slots, fans and
    heat sinks. Dirt can conduct electricity and inhibits cooling.

    Nicholas D Richards, Jan 31, 2005
  5. karenrc

    karenrc Guest

    Hi all,

    Thanks for the responses. I've taken the cover of the unit, and pulled
    out and put back in: the video card, the sound card, and the two RAM
    chips...the system has been running fine ever since. I was able to
    complete a full scan disk, anti-virus scan and ad-aware scan (all
    negative). No re-starts whatsoever.

    Now to put the case back on and see what happens!

    Cheers,
    Karen :eek:)

    karenrc, Feb 1, 2005