    seems not to have enough length. Before I try connecting the wires and risk
    burning out the motherboard, any idea which cable goes where?

    Thanks a bunch... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Ben Myers

    AlexA6404 Guest

    Hi Ben

    I assume by now you have figure out the correct connections, but, just in
    case, the cable with separate wires is for the firewire card, the Ribbon
    cable goes to the mother board (I assume it is for USB).

    I also have a 7PL290 and my system hangs quite frequently. I have tried
    many different thinks and none have worked so far. What symptom did you
    have? What motherboard did you change to?

    Thanks
    - Alex

    AlexA6404, Aug 7, 2005

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    The computer belonged to a client, and had a lot of issues, shutting down
    unexpectedly, etc. I installed an Intel-branded Pentium 4 board, partially
    reinstalled XP, and the system is fine. I also had to reactivate Windows XP,
    and needed to call Microsoft to do so because the motherboard did not have a
    Compaq BIOS. The Microsoft person did not give me grief, gave me an activation
    code. Client is happy with the result which is much faster and more reliable.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Ben Myers

    AlexA6404 Guest

    Thanks for your reply Ben. What motherboard did you replace the original
    with? Can I get the manufacturer and the model # from you? Also, did you
    have to replace any other components (such as graphics card, power supply,
    etc.) with the new motherboard?

    AlexA6404, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    My client had previously installed an nVidia chipset graphics card to replace
    the Compaq original. The Compaq power supply had an auxiliary 12v power
    connector required by a Pentium 4, so it was left in place after a lot of
    testing. Obviously, a memory replacement would be required with most Pentium 4
    boards. All but the earliest Pentium 4 boards use 184-pin DDR memory rather
    than 168-pin SDRAM. Compaq uses a non-standard connector for its front-panel
    USB, so I did not tinker with front-panel wiring so that the replacement board
    would also have front-panel USB. To compensate, most Pentium 4 boards have at
    least 4 or possibly 6 USB ports in the back.

    In this instance, the motherboard I used as a replacement was an Intel D865PERL,
    a full-sized ATX board. Any Intel-branded microATX or full ATX board with 845,
    865 or 875 chipset will fit. Other people may recommend other brands, but Intel
    branded boards have a predictability that I like... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 8, 2005