    and attempt to overclock to whatever level I can obtain.

    It seems like an 845E should be able to handle the 533FSB Prescott. Any
    comments much appreciated, Greg

    greg, Feb 4, 2004

  2. greg

    Courseyauto Guest

    I noticed a 533FSB variety Prescott 2.8A with Intel's rollout today. Should
    this chip be compatible with my 845E chipset Gigabyte 8IE533 m/b? According
    to the Gigabyte site my motherboard is tested and can handle all of the
    533FSB Northwood CPU's up to the 3.06ghz and is HT ready, although this
    Prescott doesn't have HT.

    I would like to replace my present P4 2.0A. Maybe waiting on a new
    mothboard purchase when the next generation Prescott chipsets come out,
    that include the PCI express, and after the prices come down a bit. Would
    like to upgrade my CPU with either this Prescott 2.8A or the 3.06ghz
    Northwood
    and attempt to overclock to whatever level I can obtain.

    It seems like an 845E should be able to handle the 533FSB Prescott. Any
    comments much appreciated, Greg

    ".........................................................................
    .....>"

    The 3.08 would be a much better choice,from what i understand the lower
    version prescott's are not any better than the northwoods, and infact are
    slower because of the longer pipe lines. I have a 3.08,it has an execellant
    heatsink and fan. You will see a big difference over the one you have,i
    repalced a 2.53 and there was a big difference. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Feb 4, 2004

  3. greg

    greg Guest

    I guess the only advantage of the Prescott would be SSE3 and by the time
    software is optimized
    I will have a new system anyway. I am going to get the 3.06+HT. Thanks

    greg, Feb 4, 2004