    Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.

    This is bizarre,
    NBK

    NBK, Oct 15, 2004

  2. NBK

    ocbwilg Guest

    Presumably you suddenly drawing more power and causing a sag on the line.

    ocbwilg, Oct 16, 2004

  3. NBK

    Pete D Guest

    What motherboard and power supply?

    Pete D, Oct 16, 2004
  4. NBK

    NBK Guest

    ASUS P4P800 Deluxe and Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550Watt PSU

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  5. NBK

    NBK Guest

    Thanks for responding...
    Ocbwilg what can i do about the sag in the line? Buy another UPS?

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  6. NBK

    Pete D Guest

    With that sort of supply you should not have a problem. I am running a
    P4P800-E Dlx, 2.8 Gig Northwood, Nvidia 6800, Antec 430Watt Truepower
    supply, Doom 3 at high settings and it runs for hours not a problem. How is
    your case ventilation? What size is the UPS, have you checked the batteries?

    Pete D, Oct 16, 2004
  7. NBK

    Paul Guest

    When is the last time you had a look inside the APC ? We had
    some at work once, that had battery contacts that could work
    loose. The battery itself will eventually fail as well, but I
    don't know what symptoms you could expect from that (dunno if
    the beeper is tied to battery status, or is tied to just the
    AC status on input side).

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 16, 2004
  8. NBK

    NBK Guest

    I have a Lian-Li PC-60 Case. It has two fans in the front, one in the
    back and one blow hole. I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 500. I will post
    the specs on the UPS as soon as i find them.
    thanks
    NBK

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  9. NBK

    LeeBos Guest

    APC's model numbers usually represent the VA or Volt Amp ratings. Yours is 500
    so I am guessing that that is not nearly enough for your system. 500VA is
    equivalent to about 300 watts. You need between 500 & 600 for your system.
    The reason for the alarm is that you are drawing more wattage than the APC can
    deliver. Get a larger one. An 800VA unit will give you about 540 watts. If your
    printer, cabel modem etcc are also tn the UPS go for at least a 1000VA unit.
    Even if you don't require all that capacity for your system it will give you
    longer run time in the event of loss of power.

    LeeBos, Oct 16, 2004
  10. NBK

    NBK Guest

    It is the red overload button that comes on my UPS. I should have
    bought the Northwood 3.4GHz Proc.
    dEXTER

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  11. NBK

    LeeBos Guest

    Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
    Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
    guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
    probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
    overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
    beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough to
    push it into overload.
    You really need a larger UPS.

    LeeBos, Oct 16, 2004
  12. NBK

    NBK Guest

    Thanks for all your responses,
    I will probably give APC a call and buy a more powerful UPS.
    NBK

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  13. NBK

    Ken Guest

    Yes! My APC UPS did tell me that the battery was low, but
    that was only the battery contacts that need some tightening.
    The battery contacts must be very, very tight because of all
    current from the battery. Its about 40-50 ampere!

    Ken, Oct 16, 2004
  14. NBK

    NBK Guest

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  15. NBK

    NBK Guest

    snip_______________
    Will this APC UPS do
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270212

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  16. NBK

    LeeBos Guest

    LeeBos, Oct 16, 2004
  17. NBK

    LeeBos Guest

    Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one without any
    problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4 Celeron, Laser
    printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB 2 HDD.

    This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime you can
    connect another battery pack to it.

    LeeBos, Oct 16, 2004
  18. NBK

    NBK Guest

    Thanks LeeBos

    NBK, Oct 16, 2004
  19. NBK

    Kylesb Guest

    | Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one
    without any
    | problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4
    Celeron, Laser
    | printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB
    2 HDD.

    | This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime
    you can
    | connect another battery pack to it.

    I believe it's generally recommended that a laser printer not be
    connected to a UPS as it will draw too much current on the UPS during
    power failures. However, given newer designs, perhaps their power
    appetite is lessening nowadays.

    Kylesb, Oct 17, 2004
  20. NBK

    Larry Guest

    Does your UPS have voltage switches on it that you can set the alarm to
    differernt voltage drop before it goes off?
    I don't have one in front of me but the one I have at work has some little
    small switches on it that you slide for .5 V drop 1.0 V drop etc...
    all have to do is set it up a little.

    Larry, Oct 17, 2004