    one and i need to know what sort of compatibility i can have with this
    processor line before buying one of them also.

    TIA

    NoneOfBusiness, May 9, 2004

  2. NoneOfBusiness

    FireFox Guest

    Kinda along the same lines, I'm wondering if going Prescott is a good
    idea (I have a 3.0c right now (running between 160 and 165f, with slightly
    better than "stock" air cooling)) with Intel scrapping the Tejas and Jayhawk
    in favor of a yet unnamed duel core chip. The "next generation" for me
    would be Prescott, but I'm thinking I probably should hold out and hope my
    P4c can keep me playing the latest games until Intel gets a plan together???

    (-: FireFox :)

    FireFox, May 9, 2004

  3. Well i already have an 845 chipset board with a 2.53 533mhz. The only
    reason i am thinking about this is for the dual channel memory and a
    little breathing room later if i want to put a 3.x processor in. I am
    currently happy with my P4 but i would like to take advantage of the
    performance increases dual ddr gives

    NoneOfBusiness, May 9, 2004
  4. NoneOfBusiness

    TomG Guest

    current Prescott chips are running a tad warm and not real impressive in
    terms of performance over a Northwood. I'd get a 2.6c or 2.8c myself... I
    just finished buying a 2.8c for an upgrade over a 2.2/533 model and it made
    a nice improvement in performance and the HT was recognized by XP without
    problem.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, May 9, 2004
  5. Don't bother. The current stepping Prescotts are shit; as things stand, the
    Northwood C's are by far the better buy.

    If you are thinking of buying an IC7-G with a view to future upgrades, this
    board will run the 478 pin Prescott. However, if you're thinking about
    future compatibility, you'd probably be better off waiting for the AA7-G or
    something else using the LGA775 platform.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, May 10, 2004

  6. I am not as worried about future compatibility as i am an increase in
    performance. The main reason i would consider this is for the dual
    channel ddr support. I would probably upgrade to a faster chip with
    the 800mhz FSB (Northwood or Prescott, if performance is better) in a
    few months but just use my current p4 until then. Then i could wait
    another year or two without upgrading processors again and by that
    point who knows how things are going to be ya know?

    NoneOfBusiness, May 10, 2004

  7. Does anyone know if there are still issues with HT and SB
    Audigy/Audigy 2 lines of cards or did creative finally address these
    issues with driver upgrades?

    NoneOfBusiness, May 10, 2004
  8. Jeesh, have you been hiding under a stone or something? Creative sorted that
    out probably over a year ago.

    Richard Hopkins, May 10, 2004
  9. no i have not been hiding under a stone, but i also do not primarily
    use pentium systems either. I am much more familiar with Athlon
    systems. And with creative you never know.

    Do me a favor, if i ask something in this newsgroup again, just STFU
    and do not reply at all. Your responses are useless and uncalled for
    and there are many others who would be willing to help without being a
    dick about it.

    Cheerio mate. *Plonk*

    NoneOfBusiness, May 10, 2004
  10. NoneOfBusiness

    TomG Guest

    no issues here with HT and an Audigy installed...

    TomG, May 11, 2004
  11. NoneOfBusiness

    Asestar Guest

    Which games? I'm getting some bad fps in Startrek elite force 2 , using a
    3.2GHz HT P4 and 9600Radeon.

    Asestar, May 11, 2004

  12. I have thought about that too but i don't feel i need to build a
    completely new system yet to replace this pc. I already have one
    athlon 64 3200 and am perfectly happy with it. An upgraded motherboard
    and maybe another processor later is cheaper for me. I just want to
    squeeze some more performance out of this existing setup for a while
    longer (1 year+) and see how things shake out then.

    NoneOfBusiness, May 12, 2004

  13. Thank you for a helpful answer without being a smartass like some
    others.

    NoneOfBusiness, May 12, 2004
  14. NoneOfBusiness

    Slug Guest

    I'm not sure which ones as I don't have an HT cpu myself. But I have
    read of them on usenet. Do a google groups search.

    Slug, May 12, 2004
  15. NoneOfBusiness

    Slug Guest

    Sounds good. What would I know anyway, I have two P4 systems.

    Slug, May 12, 2004
  16. NoneOfBusiness

    Slug Guest

    There are a few games that have isssues with HT. Some people disable
    HT because it does little for them in real world useage.

    Slug, May 12, 2004
  17. NoneOfBusiness

    Slug Guest

    Dual channel doesn't give you all that much of a performance increase.
    Personally, if I was building a new system today I would go with
    AMD64. More bang for the buck.

    Slug, May 12, 2004