    consume something like a hundred watts. So what is the real-world power draw
    of the CPU when there's no load? Will I really find the system using
    significantly less power when it's not busy?

    Talkin Horse, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Talkin Horse

    joe_tide Guest

    Enhanced SpeedStep Technology is included with the 660, 650, 640, and 630
    processors (and the Extreme Edition).

    The Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) will stop and start the processor to
    reduce temperatures. These stops last no more than 3.0 microseconds and,
    according to Intel, performance impact is immeasurable.

    TCC2 is available only in the 660. TCC2 reduces power comsumption by
    reducing the operating frequency and input voltage. Once cooled it will
    return to normal.

    I doubt any electricity will be saved, but the processor might be. ;-)

    joe_tide, Apr 5, 2005

  3. The spec sheet for the 6xx processors can be found here:
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30638201.pdf

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 5, 2005