    Preview?

    Thanks,
    CS

    Chris Swoyer, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Open the "Get info" panel and then look under "Open with". You'll find
    you can select anapplication to open that particular file with, and also
    the opportunity to do the same for all similar (in this case pdf) files.

    Don't quite know why you'd want to, though.

    William Clark

    William A. T. Clark, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Chris Swoyer

    Clyde Guest

    Why you would want to is speed - amazing speed. I've used Reader and its
    mothers for years. With the Panther upgrade, Preview is so much faster
    it's not funny. The app opening speed is way, way faster. The paging
    through the file is also stunningly faster. It even prints much faster.

    The only reason I use Reader now is for those rare times I need to use
    some of it's extra features.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Jan 10, 2004
  4. They didn't need to. While it was created by Adobe, Portable Document
    Format is an open file format. Anyone can write software to create or
    display PDFs without paying anything to Adobe.

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 10, 2004
  5.
    Julian Vrieslander, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Chris Swoyer

    Clyde Guest

    <

    Clyde, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Chris Swoyer

    older one Guest

    After reading these posts I'm motivated to try Preview again. But I can't
    seem to find a way to set it as the preferred application for opening PDF files.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    older one, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Chris Swoyer

    Steinar Moum Guest

    Mark the document->get Info->Open With

    Yours

    sm

    Steinar Moum, Jan 16, 2004
  9. Chris Swoyer

    older one Guest

    Ah, thanks. I'd only tried the contextual menu "open with", which doesn't
    offer to "change all".

    older one, Jan 17, 2004
  10. Actually, if you use the "Other..." item in the contextual menu (which
    lets you choose any application, including the ones listed in the menu)
    there is a check box labeled "Always Open With"

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 17, 2004
  11. Chris Swoyer

    older one Guest

    When I tried that it only seemed to modify the selected document's app,
    rather than the default.

    older one, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Chris Swoyer

    Earle Jones Guest

    *
    The advantage to Acrobat Reader (v 6.0) is that it gives you time to
    have a sandwich while it opens.

    earle
    *

    Earle Jones, Jan 20, 2004