    (I don't think memory depends on processor type)

    Is it something like ... "Intel systems cost 25 to 30 percent more than an
    equivalent AMD system"?

    Franklin, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Franklin

    JK Guest

    Same power for what? In Doom 3 for example, an Athlon 64 3500+ beats
    anything that Intel makes, even chips at almost 3x the price.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
    No. How do you determine which chips are equivalent? By benchmarks?
    If so, then you need to figure out what applications you run , and how often
    you run each, then come up with a weighted average performance level
    for each chip based on your usage patterns. Then you can make a
    comparison.

    JK, Sep 18, 2004

  3. But nobody in their right mind would spend money on the Intel Extreme
    Edition version. It was made for a particular purpose at a particular
    time, and I understand that it is now discontinued. Hence it's ludicrous
    to keep referring to "AMD beats Intel at 3x the price", but that's the
    sort of arguments being used by AMD fanatics.

    Johannes H Andersen, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Franklin

    JK Guest

    To compete against the Athlon 64 FX-53. It didn't do a good job at that though.
    However since it is the best gaming chip Intel sells, a number of them
    probably sold anyway.
    It is? I heard that the 3.2 ghz was discontinued. I doubt Intel would discontinue
    the 3.4 ghz one unless they came out with a replacement for it(perhaps a
    3.6 ghz one?).
    Not really. For those who love playing Doom 3 it is important.
    Fanatics? LOL!

    JK, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Franklin

    Franklin Guest

    -- snip --
    I use my PC for home and "small office" use.
    No games. No video or sound editing. No movie playing. No power use.

    That is the sort of thing I would like to compare between AMD and Intel.

    The final system may be something like a AMD Barton 2500+ with 1GB memory,
    sound integrated on mobo and a very modest VIA-based graphics and 80 GN HDD.

    But all I want to get anidea of is the relative cost on an AMD mobo &
    porceesor compared to Intel.

    Hope that helps.

    Franklin, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Franklin

    Ed Guest

    ya and nobody in their right mind should of bought a P4 when the P4
    first came out (slower then P3) but Intel sold millions of them.

    EE is discontinued?, last I read Intel is doing the same thing AMD is on
    the high end, when a new faster EE/FX is released the previous version
    is discontinued.

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 18, 2004
  7. Franklin

    Max® Guest

    They are changing the Extreme range to the LGA775 processors and moving the
    FSB to 1066. nd to the prescott core I assume. They will be expensive
    still tho.......

    Max®, Sep 18, 2004
  8. Franklin

    Max® Guest

    AMD will be a cheaper version and will do everything you need.

    Max®, Sep 18, 2004
  9. Franklin

    Ed Guest

    Might want to take a look here to get some ideas...
    http://www.pricewatch.com/
    see combos...
    Motherboard/CPU Combos
    Mother Combos w/Memory

    No games. No video etc..., then what are you going to do with it? If
    you just want a PC to surf/email then you probably don't even need 1GB
    of ram, 512MB would be enough, a 2500+ may even be overkill, AMD's
    Durons are pretty impressive for their price too.

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 18, 2004
  10. Franklin

    Wes Newell Guest

    Then you really don't need much power.
    Then compare an AMD 2500+ MB combo to a P4 2.6GHz MB combo. A quick
    comparison on pricewatch puts the cheapest AMD 2500+combo at $93 and the
    cheapest 2.6GHz P4 combo at $190, or $171 for a 2.53GHz P4 combo.

    Wes Newell, Sep 18, 2004
  11. Franklin

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Where do you find items in the UK priced in USD - or is your pound sign
    broken?

    Jeff Gaines, Sep 18, 2004
  12. Franklin

    JK Guest

    In that case an Athlon XP system would give you the best value.
    An Athlon XP3000+ at around $100 beats a $220 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz
    in Business Winstone 2004.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6
    A good basic motherboard for an Athlon XP is cheap. Only around $50-60.

    JK, Sep 19, 2004
  13. And on the same link, the Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Northwood beats the
    Athlon XP3000+ in Content Creation Winstone 2004. Where do you get
    those prices from? The Athlon XP are being replaced by less performing
    Semprons for same PR numbers.

    Johannes H Andersen, Sep 19, 2004
  14. Franklin

    JK Guest

    The Sempron model number are meant to compare it to the Celeron.
    Athlon XP chips are still available. It is not certain how much longer
    they will still be available.

    JK, Sep 19, 2004
  15. Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz dual channel OEM ............$177

    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16 GHz 400 MHz single channel OEM ..... $98

    Not really much difference considering the total price of the PC.

    Johannes H Andersen, Sep 19, 2004
  16. Franklin

    JK Guest

    A Pentium 4 3.2 ghz performs worse than an Athlon XP 3000+
    running Business Winstone 2004. Perhaps you should compare a
    Pentium 4 3ghz to an Athlon XP 2500+ or 2800+ for running business
    applications. One could choose an Athlon 64 3000+ for less than
    the cost of a Pentium 4 3ghz.
    Very funny. An Athlon XP 2500+ is only around $65. An XP 2500+ 333
    is around $75. Why should someone pay around $100 more than they need to?

    "Not really much difference considering the total price of the PC."

    That excuse doesn't make sense. Using that type of excuse one could
    say that spending $10,000 on a couch doesn't make much of difference
    than buying a $2,000 one, since the cost of the house with the couch won't
    be so different in percentage terms with each alternative.

    An extra $100 could buy a DVD writer or a second hard drive. It could be
    saved for future upgrades.

    JK, Sep 19, 2004
  17. Franklin

    Paul Hopwood Guest

    We're neither talking about an item with a £8000 price difference (is
    your pound key broken?) or one which has an value in it's own right;
    it's simply a component of the overall system.

    Few people would disagree that an Intel-based PC costs a little more
    than a comparable AMD-based system but it's hardly unaffordable in the
    context of the overall cost. Some people prefer not to pay the
    premium whereas others do not.

    The same people who buy AMD because they're cheaper might conceivably
    pay twice as much for, say, a high-end RAM or a top of the range
    graphics card when parts priced at half the price would give very
    similar performance, or pay a premium for OCZ or TwinMOS memory or
    Hercules or Sapphire graphics cards over a cheaper functionally
    similar equivalents. Fact is any reason for choosing any component
    over another might seem no less whimsical to some people than the
    reasons some people prefer one chip manufacturer over another.

    One of the *few* reasons for building your own PC is to have this
    degree of choice and flexibility so I find it incredible that
    essentially like-minded people can get so hung-up about other peoples
    choices!

    Paul Hopwood, Sep 19, 2004
  18. Franklin

    JK Guest

    Not everyone lives in the UK. Most of Europe has adopted to the Euro.
    Why hasn't the UK adopted the Euro?
    A couch is a component of a furnished house.
    Neither is a $10,000 couch compared to a $2,000 one, but is the extra
    expense justified?
    Many buy AMD for better performance.
    The worst part about choosing a Pentium 4 is that the vast majority of Pentium
    4
    processors out there are 32 bit chips. How will people feel if they buy a
    32 bit processor in '04, then see great 64 bit software for sale in '05.
    Will they buy a 64 bit processor and new motherboard then, and be
    cursing that they were talked into buying a high priced 32 bit processor
    in 2004?

    JK, Sep 19, 2004
  19. Franklin

    Paul Hopwood Guest

    I read the posting in uk.comp.homebuilt, which is a UK-based group. I
    must presume therefore the OP is in the UK or the posting would be
    off-topic.
    On it's own couch has no value and the house will not function without
    it?
    I could get drawn into a P4/AMD or 32-bit vs 64-bit argument but you
    seem to missing the point somewhat.

    You evidently have your reasons for liking AMD Athlon-64s while other
    people have different reasons for preferring alternative products,
    all of which are valid and people choose how to spend their own money
    as they see fit. Isn't that what PC building is all about, namely
    choice?

    Paul Hopwood, Sep 19, 2004
  20. Franklin

    Lo Salt Guest

    This is OT..

    His ISP, rcn.com , is in the USA.... 105 Carnegie Center, Princeton, NJ
    08540

    Lo Salt, Sep 19, 2004