    Jack Jack Guest

    How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL
    package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM version?

    Jack Jack, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Jack Jack

    Mojo Pin Guest

    Check out the suppliers !! You're sat in front of a pc, do the work
    yourself, or hadn't you thought of looking on websites. Lazy or thick,
    you choose the most apt description of yourself.

    Mojo Pin, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Jack Jack

    Ace Internet Guest

    How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL
    Don't forget, the retail versions come with heatsink/fan and 3 year
    warranty - so factor that in when comparing...

    Visit our online IT store! Trade prices direct to the public!
    http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/buy/hardware
    Get a FREE 0870 number for your home, business or Fax2Email service
    http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/telco/
    Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
    Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
    t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:

    Ace Internet, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Jack Jack

    Conor Guest

    Typically around £7..the cost of a rasonable heatsink and fan.

    Conor, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Jack Jack

    Ginchy Guest

    Intel OEM CPU`s come with hs&f but only 12month warranty!

    Ginchy, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Jack Jack

    Jim Howes Guest

    ???
    In that case, I'm owed rather a lot of heatsinks and fans.

    Most OEM processor stock on the market in the UK is 'Tray product', i.e.
    in an anti-static tray such as those pictured at
    http://www.nissenchemical.com/semi.htm (although these aren't actual P4
    trays) ready for automated assembly, or, as it happens, to be picked out
    and sold one-by-one at knockdown prices to bargain-hunters, or
    occasionally, so that they can be stuck into insufficient mystery black
    foam, wrapped in non-anti-static plastic bubble-wrap, and shipped off
    with insufficient packaging such that they arrive squashed flat and
    impossible to install due to bent pins (Oi! Redstore! Are you
    listening!) Atleast the LGA chip package should not suffer that
    particular problem.

    Retail CPU products, sometimes called 'PIB' (for 'Processor In Box') not
    only come with a matched Heatsink (fine if you are not overclocking,
    although hideously noisy in the case of Intel S603 Xeons) but any
    additional warranty that you may get will probably be with the CPU
    manufacturer directly, handy if the supplier goes bust.

    In most cases, the first 12 months will be handled by the retailer as
    normal, but years 2 and 3 of a 3-year warranty are in many cases handled
    directly by the manufacturer.

    Jim Howes, Mar 1, 2005
  7. Jack Jack

    Jack Jack Guest

    On Tue 01 Mar 2005 11:48:00, Mojo Pin wrote:

    Oi, Mojo! :)

    Of course I checked but I didn't find any web traders who were
    quoting prices for an OEM and retail processor both of the same
    specification. It's not so easy to locate that info.

    Jack Jack, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Jack Jack

    Chadwick Guest

    eBuyer do. and Scan I think.

    Chadwick, Mar 1, 2005
  9. Jack Jack

    Wes Newell Guest

    Do yourself a favor and forget about socket A Semprons. Even if you have a
    new MB that will do 200MHz FSB (400FSB), the multiplier of the Sempron is
    the same as a 1500+ XP (10), so the most speed you will get out of it is
    2000MHz (10x200). Now if you have an older MB with only a 133MHz FSB the
    Sempron 2400+ will only run at 1333MHz (10x133). So find even a used XP
    with a Tbred B core if at all possible, or a Barton core if your board
    will do 166MHz FSB. See Sempron in link below. You'll get more speed out
    of an XP 1700+ (11*FSB) than you will a Sempron 2400+ at 10xFSB.

    Wes Newell, Mar 1, 2005
  10. Jack Jack

    Ed Light Guest

    Here in the US an OEM AMD generally has a 15-30 day warrantee, but sometimes
    you can buy a year's warrantee.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Jack Jack

    Ed Light Guest

    In the US it seems that everyone checks on newegg.com. They have both.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Mar 2, 2005
  12. Jack Jack

    M Arino Guest

    I'd say it's worth to look if the mobo suppports XP-M processors. In
    my online retailer of choice (in Spain) the Barton XP-M 2400+ goes at
    the same price as the Sempron 2600+... same rating (if rated with the
    Athlon XP ratings) , same price, but surprise surprise, the XP-M has
    stock voltage of 1.45 and a Barton core (double the L2 cache),
    unlocked multiplier.... need I say which one is better? I wonder if
    other retailers price those two similarly. For me, bang for the buck
    and sheer overclocking fun is XP-M with Barton core. Socket A
    Sempron=bad bad idea , methinks

    M Arino, Mar 2, 2005