    I can find accurate pricing info for these?
    Thanks,
    Gregg Palmer

    Gregg P., Nov 4, 2004

  2. Gregg P.

    Todd B. Guest

    Search the completed items on Ebay to get the current fair market value.

    Todd

    Todd B., Nov 4, 2004

  3. You can do what most liquidators do--scan eBay for similar items or put
    it up on eBay and see how high it goes. If you accurately describe the
    HW and what it comes with, include picture, you'll either get responses
    or not.

    Don't expect it to be worth much. Most of the non-Ultra SPARC systems
    were about $100 or so. Shipping would be expensive, especially if you
    include the monitor.

    Michael Vilain, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Hmm, some ancient low-end workstation hardware that is 14 years old?
    I saw a few eBay listings for $1-3 that didn't have any takers.

    They've already gone through the nostalgia phase, and are to the point
    where there's way more around than anybody wants.

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Gregg P.

    CJT Guest

    I think you'll be lucky to get ten bucks.

    CJT, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Gregg P.

    Rich Teer Guest

    Auction them in Ebay, with a starting price of $1. If you're
    lucky, you might even get a taker.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming"

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Gregg P.

    postmaster Guest

    I think you'll be lucky to get ten bucks.
    [/QUOTE]
    I sell IPA IPX class systems occasionally on e-bay. They usually go for
    15-25 uk-pounds in working condition, and loaded with sun-os / solaris.

    Cheers.

    All The Best.

    postmaster, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Gregg P.

    David Kirkby Guest

    I can give you a reasonably accurate figure - zero.

    18-months or so ago I see people saying on newsgroups "free IPC, must
    pick up" or similar. They really have no value, and are best put in a bin.

    Sorry if that disappoints you, but there is no doubt a lot of people
    (myself included) who have thrown them in the bin.

    David Kirkby, Nov 4, 2004
  9. Gregg P.

    David Kirkby Guest

    But more likely he will get no takers, and still have to pay eBay!!

    David Kirkby, Nov 4, 2004
  10. Gregg P.

    David Kirkby Guest

    I sell IPA IPX class systems occasionally on e-bay. They usually go for
    15-25 uk-pounds in working condition, and loaded with sun-os / solaris.

    Cheers.

    All The Best.[/QUOTE]

    You surprise me there - I hate to guess why anyone would want to buy
    one. I just had a look at the completed auctions on eBay *UK* for IPX's

    http://search-completed.ebay.co.uk/...ogZ9QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsotrZ2

    and see one failed to sell with a starting prince of $0.99, another
    failed to sell with a starting prince of $4.99, yet one did sell in
    France for EUR 15.5

    I see an Ultra 1 sell for 20 UK pounds a couple of months back, which I
    must admit did surprise me.

    I see someone trying to sell some SS20's with 150 MHz HyperSPARCs and
    128 MB of RAM, and was unable to sell any of the ten he had, despite
    starting at 20 pounds.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1486&item=5728141151&rd=1

    David Kirkby, Nov 4, 2004
  11. Gregg P.

    Andrew Tyson Guest

    I have 2 sparcstation IPCs and 1 sparcstation 1+ that I have been tasked

    .... the local dumspter ;-) these machines are too antiquated to be
    saleable. you might get some takers offering them for free on
    comp.sys.sun.wanted.

    Andrew Tyson, Nov 4, 2004
  12. Postage costs etc are most likely why they don't sell often.

    Personally I picked up the sole SS20 I've got for £5 at the local dump! ;)

    Kelly

    Kelly Harding, Nov 4, 2004
  13. Gregg P.

    David Wade Guest

    I think in Europe you would have to pay due to legislation on disposal of
    computer hardware:-(

    David Wade, Nov 5, 2004
  14. Gregg P.

    CJT Guest

    FWIW, I bought an Ultra 1 and a pair of Ultra 5's for under $35 total
    (including sales tax) at auction a couple of weeks ago.

    CJT, Nov 5, 2004
  15. that's unfair :(

    here in italy they'd ask 80/100 eur --if anybody could find one :(--,
    probably with no floppy and *for sure* with no keyboard and/or mouse
    and/or monitor.

    almost impossible to find any sparcs, too.

    due to respect for people with weak heart, i won't talk about prices
    for old ultra 1's and 5's...

    too bad :(

    regards,

    Gianni Rondinini, Nov 5, 2004
  16. Gregg P.

    Mark Guest

    Quite right! I am about to put several sparc 4's, 5's, 10's and 20's in the
    skip.
    Just not worth the hassle of selling them.
    Also probably going to skip a RSM2000 and 5 A1000's with 9GB disks.

    Mark, Nov 5, 2004
  17. Gregg P.

    Steven Hill Guest

    Also probably going to skip a RSM2000 and 5 A1000's with 9GB disks.

    You should still get some cashola for the A1000, RSM2000 is a bit old and
    big though.

    S.

    Steven Hill, Nov 5, 2004
  18. doh :(

    Gianni Rondinini, Nov 5, 2004
  19. Gregg P.

    Tom Tobin Guest

    If you're based in Europe, we may be interested in some of this kit.
    Please email me the details.
    We're also looking for 630MP, or 670MP, or 690MP internals
    (motherboard, memory, etc.) - if you have any of those. Depending
    on the location, we may take the complete systems.

    Regarding the OP, David Kirkby is right, the IPC - like IPX, SS1, SS1+,
    SS2 - have no real market for the system or the parts. And we've also
    scrapped many of them.
    The chassis of the SS4, SS5, SS10, and SS20 is the same, although
    some of the internals (disk and memory) still have a value for spare parts.
    (The 170MHz SS5 is the exception, and may still have some life!;-)
    The Ultra1 and Ultra2 are borderline, although the Ultra2 (I think)
    has a lot of life in it and will be around for the next 12-18 months.
    The RSM2000 has no value. The A1000 has, because it's (like the
    170MHz SS5 and the Ultra2) preferred to what went before it.

    And, Yes, we've got the above in stock.
    (And, Yes, we've got the odd 3/50, as well!;-)
    And, No, we can't get to Ebay prices!
    And, Yes, we know the pricelist is woefully out-of-date.

    Tom Tobin, Nov 5, 2004
  20. Gregg P.

    David Kirkby Guest

    I'm not aware of any specific legislation in the UK. I can legally take
    a computer to the local dump, with no problems. Fridges, freezers,
    asbestos etc are different, but I don't believe computers are treated
    any differently from any other rubbish.

    The only problem we have here in the UK is the fear by some of being in
    court if someone takes your old equipment and gets injured using the
    thing, so they destroy the stuff, so nobody can use it.

    There is quite good book I have here somewhere on the construction of
    the Jodrell Bank radio telescope in England - at its time, the largest
    radio telescope in the world. That was built from truck-loads of scrap
    from the army, navy etc.

    Amateur radio would probably not have existed if it had not been for the
    early amateurs getting ex-government equipment. Yet the parasitic
    lawyers, operating on a 'no win, no fee' basis in the UK are tending to
    make people more weary of just scrapping something, but some go to
    enormous lengths to destroy it.

    BTW, I once carried a 19" Sun monitor home from work, as it was no
    longer needed. This involved quite a long walk, then a tube journey,
    then a train journey. When I got on the train, the guard said to me "YOU
    CAN GET LAPTOPS NOW MATE"

    David Kirkby

    David Kirkby, Nov 5, 2004