    that date. Although I'm sure some will, especially the ones that sell
    items on after it';s been dumped rather than crushing it.

    Kelly

    Kelly Harding, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Gregg P.

    Beardy Guest

    Oh great, more "European legislation" crap.
    I bags first dibs on the "Sun dumpster" (what a joyous
    language English historical slang is...)
    Its how most 2nd-user companies exist already...

    Beardy, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Well care for the environment isn't crap, but yes it could prove an
    annoyance ;)
    I think a lot of council owned sites are run by a out-sourced company.

    A lot of them just crush everything regardless. Some put stuff aside and
    let people either take it or slip them a bit of cash for it. This isn't
    really supposed to happen and with the legislation might well get
    stamped down on a bit more. Will be a shame, got a SS20 from my local
    council tip!

    Kelly

    Kelly Harding, Nov 6, 2004
  4. In comp.sys.sun.hardware, Mark wrote:

    |> Quite right! I am about to put several sparc 4's, 5's, 10's and 20's in the
    |> skip.
    |> Just not worth the hassle of selling them.
    |> Also probably going to skip a RSM2000 and 5 A1000's with 9GB disks.

    Located where?

    Volker Borchert, Nov 6, 2004
  5. Indeed, where.

    If you're closeish to me (UK - Bucks) I'll be around tomorrow and provide
    you with a large four wheeled skip.

    P.

    Paul S. Brown, Nov 6, 2004
  6. Gregg P.

    Winston Guest

    Here in (at least some parts of) the U.S., the lead in TVs and CRT
    monitors and (IIRC) some of the metals in electronic circuits are
    considered environmental hazards. As a result, you can't just throw the
    stuff out, you have to take it to a suitable recycling center.
    -WBE

    Winston, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Gregg P.

    CJT Guest

    Give Bush another couple of years and you'll be able to dump anything
    you want anywhere you want with impunity.

    CJT, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Gregg P.

    Beardy Guest

    <OT_rant>

    Here in London, people pretty much do this already. My home
    became a victim of dumping over the last few days, and I
    live in a not-too-dodgy area. Fortunately someone took a
    liking to the shit that had been dumped, and took it away.
    Strange. Our council (London, Ealing) simply puts up taxes
    and god knows where the revenues go - certainly not into
    services to the public - just into councillors' pockets.

    </OT_rant>

    Beardy, Nov 7, 2004
  9. Gregg P.

    David Kirkby Guest

    An ex-colleague of mine said in his part of Canada they had a good idea.

    For three days of the year, everyone put outside their house anything
    they no longer wanted - junk, plus things of potential use to someone
    else. People then combed their neighborhood, looking for things they
    wanted.

    After the 3-days, the council collected the remainder.

    It seems like a good idea to me. Sure there is a bit of junk lying
    around for 3 days out of 365, but it would allow others to use what you
    don't want, and would save a lot of 'fly tipping'.

    David Kirkby, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Gregg P.

    Beardy Guest

    That's a bloody excellent idea - I will pass it on to Ealing
    Council.

    Now what was Rich Teer's home address? I s'pose I could just
    loiter around Kelowna for a year or so - his place should be
    easy to spot ;-)

    Beardy, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Gregg P.

    Gregg P. Guest

    Thanks to all that responded to my question about the sparcstation IPCs and
    sparcstation 1+; I am really surprised by
    the response and the length of the thread! I will probably have to dispose
    of these via the trash bin.
    Lively response from everyone--very interesting.

    Good luck to all,
    Gregg Palmer

    Gregg P., Nov 8, 2004
  12. Gregg P.

    dgriffi Guest

    IPCs make nifty project cases for mounting a mini-ITX motherboard. I've
    seen a few that people have converted into literal lunch boxes.

    dgriffi, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Gregg P.

    dgriffi Guest

    This is done yearly in San Jose, California AFAIK. Another tactic I've
    seen used is to go someplace where a lot of computer geeks can be found.
    Engage one in conversation (optional), drop the item in the person's lap,
    then vanish. Go to http://www.2600.com and see if there's a meeting near
    you.

    dgriffi, Nov 9, 2004
  14. Gregg P.

    David Kirkby Guest

    Let me (or the newsgroup) know what response you get. One of my colleagues

    http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~mefry/

    lists 'Finding things for free' as one of his interests, so I'm sure he,
    like myself, would love to visit Ealing for the 3 days.

    David Kirkby, Nov 10, 2004
  15. Gregg P.

    Kean Stump Guest

    Yep. Stuck a VIA M9000 mobo + 250 Gb disk in mine, instant media server.

    Kean

    Kean Stump, Nov 10, 2004
  16. Gregg P.

    Rich Teer Guest

    It's on my CV.
    Not a chance. I can't remember the last time I got rid of some of
    my Sun stuff - and I've NEVER thrown any away!

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming"

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Nov 10, 2004
  17. Yes, your wife is too tolerant :)

    Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Nov 11, 2004
  18. Gregg P.

    Coy Hile Guest

    I know what you mean. Last stuff I got rid of was returning some
    borrowed equipment back to work when I got my first netra. I've never
    thrown any away either (except thorwing away bad memory, but that
    doesn't count).

    I did, however, once make the mistake of throwing away a vt220. Oops.

    Coy Hile, Nov 11, 2004
  19. Gregg P.

    Todd B. Guest

    Do you have pictures?