Primary Master & Slave Hard Disk Fail

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by David B, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. David B

    David B Guest

    Hi,

    I receive the following message on bootup:
    Primary Master Hard Disk Fail
    Primary Slave Hard Disk Fail

    I was using XP and attempted to shut down, the PC just hung, so I
    powered off. When I went to reboot the above error was received. I
    have checked the cables in the motherboard and drives, and replaced
    them with the CD-rom & DVD rom cable. The same resulted. The CD/DVD
    are detected.
    When I use XP installation disk, and select repair installation.
    c:\windows is recognised. But using FDISK does not find a HDD.
    I have 2 HDD, and neither are detected.

    Any Ideas on what I could do, or has a virus attacked my BIOS?

    Thanks in advance

    David

    David B, Sep 17, 2003

  2. I receive the following message on bootup:
    Try connecting the drives one at a time to the cable on the secondary
    connector. Check your BIOS settings that primary IDE interface enabled. Try
    resetting the BIOS with jumper on motherboard (usually near battery).

    Mike.

    Michael Hawes, Sep 17, 2003

  3. David B

    Chris Hill Guest

    Sounds like something croaked. Try disconnecting the primary slave.
    If the master still isn't found, then the primary master hd is likely
    dead.

    Chris Hill, Sep 18, 2003
  4. David B

    Bigfoot Bill Guest

    check the jumper pins on the hard drives also
    they maybe shifted enough to not make proper contact,
    this will make the drives not show up on auto-detect.

    Bigfoot Bill, Sep 18, 2003