Prime 95 not loading cpu 100%

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Ed Light, May 14, 2009.

  1. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, May 14, 2009

  2. Ed Light

    Paul Guest

    The program could do "small" or "large" FFTs. A large
    one, won't fit in CPU cache, so there are lots of memory
    accesses as a result. A small one, might fit within the CPU
    cache, so there would be reduced memory activity. The small one
    should run at 100%.

    The reason for using large FFTs or blend, is so the
    memory gets tested.

    The reason for using small FFTs, is to heat up the
    processor, for those cases that you want to verify
    the cooling. There are likely programs better than
    Prime95, for heating. So it isn't a record setter in
    that respect.

    In terms of memory settings, some AMD processors
    have options like "linked" or "unlinked". "Unlinked"
    allows dual channel memory, to be used as two separate
    memory banks, and for multithreaded or multiple
    program usage, it might be a better setting.
    "Unlinked" may even be the default. You could
    play with that, or generally with memory frequency
    or timing, to try to do better than you are right now.

    ( Some mention of Kuma here. There is L3, so this is a more
    recent architecture dual core.)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_x2#Kuma_.2865nm_SOI.29

    Paul

    Paul, May 14, 2009

  3. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, May 15, 2009
  4. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    I'm back.

    Haven't played with the Kuma again yet.

    My Athlon 64 PC was stolen and I've built a P31/Pentium E5200, for the 3
    PCI, 3 PCI-E X1, and PCI-E 16. Lots of slots. On it, I've found that you
    should copy prime95 to another folder, start both prime 95's, and set
    each to 1 of the cores using the p95 Affinity setting. Then it works ok.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jun 8, 2009
  5. Ed Light

    Paul Guest

    I haven't really seen a problem here, and using something like this
    seemed to be OK.

    http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 8, 2009