Print-Print versus Print-Preview-Print

Discussion in 'Apple' started by MacPrint, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. MacPrint

    MacPrint Guest

    Is there a difference between the following operations from any
    given program? Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview
    to see how many pages there are before deciding to print.

    From Safari:
    File > Print --> print dialog > Print

    versus

    From Safari:
    File > Print --> print dialog
    then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view
    then print directly from Adobe using
    File > Print --> print dialog > Print

    It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe
    Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print
    directly from Safari.

    The outputs should be the same, right? Is the answer
    application dependent?

    Thank you.

    MacPrint, Nov 11, 2003

  2. -mobilphone.net (MacPrint) (M) wrote:

    M> Is there a difference between the following operations from any
    M> given program? Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview
    M> to see how many pages there are before deciding to print.

    M> From Safari:
    M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print

    M> versus

    M> From Safari:
    M> File > Print --> print dialog
    M> then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view
    M> then print directly from Adobe using
    M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print

    M> It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe
    M> Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print
    M> directly from Safari.

    M> The outputs should be the same, right? Is the answer
    M> application dependent?

    Well, actually I have often problems with MS Word. Some files just won't
    be printed, they seem to be sent to the printer, but just disappear in a
    black hole. When done via the preview route they will print.

    Piet van Oostrum, Nov 14, 2003

  3. MacPrint

    T Chaos Guest

    M> Is there a difference between the following operations from any
    M> given program? Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview
    M> to see how many pages there are before deciding to print.

    M> From Safari:
    M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print

    M> versus

    M> From Safari:
    M> File > Print --> print dialog
    M> then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view
    M> then print directly from Adobe using
    M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print

    M> It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe
    M> Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print
    M> directly from Safari.

    M> The outputs should be the same, right? Is the answer
    M> application dependent?

    Well, actually I have often problems with MS Word. Some files just won't
    be printed, they seem to be sent to the printer, but just disappear in a
    black hole. When done via the preview route they will print.[/QUOTE]

    Not sure about MS Word, but using "Preview.app" instead of "adobe
    reader.app" for .pdf files is a HECK of a lot faster than waiting for
    adobe reader to load. Preview might be oversimplified for some uses/
    people though.

    T Chaos, Jan 6, 2004
  4. MacPrint

    Ron Parsons Guest

    Not sure about MS Word, but using "Preview.app" instead of "adobe
    reader.app" for .pdf files is a HECK of a lot faster than waiting for
    adobe reader to load. Preview might be oversimplified for some uses/
    people though.[/QUOTE]

    When printing to a PS printer, just from the sheer volume of data sent,
    it appears that a direct print is quite fast and simple especially when
    it's just a modification of PDF to PS, however the volume is huge when
    printing from Preview.

    I noticed something simular with TurboTax output the last couple of
    years. When VPC had difficulty printing a TurboTax Business return
    directly, I had it create a .PS file when I then dragged to my printer
    either in OS9 or OS X. Compared to a simular TurboTax for Macintosh
    document, the file was 10x as large.

    In both cases, VPC/Windows and Preview, I suspect that instead of text
    documents, they were creating a graphic picture of each page.

    The printed page appears to the eye to be identical, but the difference
    in efficiency is large.

    Ron Parsons, Jan 7, 2004