Printer - horizontal lines in color printing (deskjet)

Discussion in 'HP' started by Felix Oscar, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Felix Oscar

    Felix Oscar Guest

    My printer (HP 630c) will put horizontal lines in color printing. The
    lines are various colors but mostly whitish depending on what color
    it's supposed to be printing. The lines are evenly spaced, a few
    millimeters apart.

    I fixed the problem once by replacing the cartriage but then the
    problem came back. I did not use the printer for a very long time,
    like 3-5 months. Would that cause the problem to come about? I tried
    shaking the cartriage but that did not help. This has happened twice.
    I can only assume the problem is the cartriages. Text printing is
    okay.

    Will this happen just from not using the printer for a while?

    I'm also using an HP 49 cart that says "for occasional printing" but
    the first time I had the problem, it was with the regular HP 49 cart.

    I tried calling HP which was useless. Thanks for any help if
    possible.

    Felix Oscar, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Yes, the problem is the cartridge, and yes, the problem is
    caused by not printing for a long time. Ink has dried up in
    one or more of the print-head's ink channels and clogged them
    up.

    Try putting some warm distilled or filtered water on a paper
    towel and resting the cartridge on the towel, print-head
    down, for several minutes. This may moisten the dried-up ink
    and get ink flowing again through the clogged channels.

    If it doesn't work, you probably need to replace the
    cartridge.

    It's a good idea to print a sample page once a week or so to
    ensure that the ink channels don't get clogged.

    Jonathan Kamens, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Felix Oscar

    The Real Bev Guest

    Any idea why an HP 880c would print 3/4' bands of what looks like a
    transparent lavender overlay every once in a while? Zero or one or two
    bands per picture, but it doesn't seem to have ever done that on a
    normal text print, even with text in different colors.. Same story with
    old and new cartridge.

    The Real Bev, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Felix Oscar

    Andrew White Guest

    The ink dries up and clogs some of the channels. You need to run the
    self-cleaning routine; just read the manual.

    Andrew White, Jun 22, 2004