Printer intermittently goes offline

Discussion in 'HP' started by tomme, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. tomme

    tomme Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I'm having an issue with various models of HP printers in one of my
    departments. The Printer models include LaserJet 4000, 4050, 4350 and
    9000, but they all use an internal HP JetDirect 615n.

    The issue is, the printers go offline on the workstations (Win2000 pro
    with all critical updates installed) but you can still ping the printer
    IP and get a response.

    The offline times range from 5 to 30 minutes (as much as 2 hours
    occasionally) multiple times a day and seem to come back online just as
    mysteriously as they go offline.

    They all go offline at different times and you can ping them, so it's
    not a switch issue They also appear offline for all users configured
    to use them, so it's not user specific.

    Can anyone think of another way to isolate this issue further, or has
    resolved this in the past? We have a printing dependant department
    that is heavily affected whenever a printer decides to go offline.

    Thanks for the help!

    tomme, Feb 10, 2006

  2. Tomme-

    I've seen cases where one printer in the department had something wrong
    with its driver, and would hang-up a printer, but the symptoms were
    slightly different from yours.

    The fact that more than one printer is doing this points to a system or
    procedural problem, not a defective part.

    Once every few months I've had a JedDirect lose connectivity to its
    router. The little green light next to the Ethernet connector goes off.
    The solution has been to recycle power on the printer. It may not happen
    any more often because power occasionally is recycled for some other
    reason.

    I suspect my problem may be related to use of DHCP assignment of the
    printer's IP address, and the "lease" expiring. Do your printers use
    DHCP, or are the IP addresses manually assigned?

    Do your printers come back on line immediately if power is recycled? If
    not, you might have a network problem somewhere else. If it does, then
    perhaps your leases were expired.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Feb 13, 2006

  3. tomme

    TD Guest

    We actually use manually assigned IP's for all printers. The weird
    thing is, the link light and pings are both positive while the printer
    is offline.

    I tried updating the printer and JetDirect cards' firmware and drivers,
    but neither seemed to improve it. Recycling the printer power doesn't
    help either.

    The printers going offline seems to happen more in the afternoon rather
    than morning or night. I want to run some network and bandwidth
    utilities during the afternoon and see if I notice and spikes or
    anomalies.

    TD, Feb 17, 2006
  4. TD-

    Where I used to work, most of the networked printers with the JetDirect
    servers, were also "served" from a central machine. If that happens to be
    true in your installation, the off-line indication might actually be
    coming from the central server. That would explain the symptoms you
    describe.

    At one time I was able to print directly to the printers at work, instead
    of going through the server. The JetDirect cards were easily able to cope
    with print jobs coming from different sources. However, the IT people did
    something to only allow printing from the server, and stopped me from
    going direct.

    If you haven't tried it, try logging into one of the JetDirect cards using
    your web browser pointed to its IP address (http://193.234.101.32/, or
    whatever). You may see a clue there when the problem occurs.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Feb 20, 2006
  5. tomme

    Ben Myers Guest

    The IT people, in their religious zeal to micromanage and control all aspects of
    computer use, set up the printers to run through the server. This is a pretty
    stupid idea. It creates more load on the server. If the server goes down or
    hangs, you can't print. If the server is incorrectly configured, either
    hardware or software, printing something can bring the server to its knees.
    Maybe the IT people can monitor printer use via the server, keeping track of
    pages printed and who those nasty people are who are printing all the time.

    I know another outfit with all of its printers running through the server.
    People print, causing the server to hiccup, belch, and fart, and everyone in the
    whole place waits minutes for the server to begin working again.

    If you have rights to install printer drivers and printers on your computer at
    work (another IT no-no!), you can install another printer driver pointed
    directly at the IP address of a networked LaserJet... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 20, 2006
  6. tomme

    theboywhogotlost

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Your spooler is probly getting messed up on the server. Restart the spooler service on your server and you should be good to go.

    -Losty

    theboywhogotlost, Aug 24, 2007