    Any advice?  I have Time Machine backups that I could use for restoring.
    What files should I restore?

    Thanks.

    Mel Comisarow, Jul 26, 2012

  2. Try deleting the printer from the System Preferences and re-adding it.
    You have a very old system and if the new Samsung drivers are
    intel-only, you're stuck. You'll have to find the older driver install
    package somewhere that's PPC and install that.

    Michael Vilain, Jul 27, 2012

  3. Thanks Michael for suggesting deleting from printer/fax preferences and
    reinstalling the Samsung driver software from a fresh download. I now
    can print to my printer. However I still have the problem of "only
    printing in color" That is, the print dialog box option, Standard BW,
    gives color printing.

    Any suggestions to restore the option of BW printing? Thank you.

    Mel Comisarow, Jul 29, 2012
  4. Other than configuring the printer's features in the Add Printer panel,
    no? I'm just guessing here, but in order for my printer to recognize
    the 2nd tray and duplex printing, I had to enable them in this dialog.

    Other than that, I'd contact the vendor and ask them if they have any
    suggestions. Most likely, you'll get nowhere with them because once
    they build a printer or scanner, vendors have a software house write the
    software until the printer is discontinued. Then it's mothballed. I'm
    lucky in that Brother doesn't like to re-invent the wheel so their
    drivers and software are maintained longer.

    If deleting the printer queue, reinstalling the printer's most current
    drivers from the vendor and re-adding it doesn't fix it, their support
    people probably won't help you any more than we can.

    How important is this? Can you live without it or work around it?
    Usually, my advise for printers is "spend a week figuring it out and if
    there's no visible solution, dump the printer and get one that 'just
    works'--Life is to short"

    Michael Vilain, Jul 29, 2012