Printing via Airport base station from wired network?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by brucebiz_wi, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. brucebiz_wi

    brucebiz_wi Guest

    Hello MacFriends,

    I know that I can use the Airport Extreme base station as a print
    server for my USB printer and send print jobs from Macs on my wireless
    network. My question is whether I can also do this from the computers
    on the wired network that the base station connects to.

    Here is my network plan so far:

    LEGEND
    === are wired ethernet cables
    .... are USB cables

    CABLE MODEM BOX
    =
    =
    =
    Wired Computers (1 Mac and 2 PCs)
    =
    =
    =
    Airport Extreme Base Station
    ..
    ....USB Printer (HP LaserJet 1200)

    I know I can print to the USB printer from airport-enabled Macs. My
    questions are:

    1) Can I print from Macs on the network that have ethernet cables but
    no airport cards?

    2) Can I print from PCs on the network that have ethernet cables but
    no airport cards?

    and... while I'm asking...

    3) Can I print from PCs with wireless cards if they have the right
    password to get onto the wireless network?

    All help appreciated! Thanks a lot!

    Bruce

    brucebiz_wi, Nov 1, 2005

  2. brucebiz_wi

    joel.schafer Guest

    Not sure, but do you need to have the printer connected to the base
    station?

    I have my USB printer attached to my PowerMac G4 (plugged into my
    LinkSys wireless router), and with print sharing turned on, can print
    wireless from my PowerBook G4.

    J.S.

    joel.schafer, Nov 1, 2005

  3. brucebiz_wi

    brucebiz_wi Guest

    I could do that, but two things make this solution suboptimal:

    1) I'd like to be able to turn off the desktop when I'm not using it to
    save power (I don't print all that often).

    2) The geometry of my place is such that the wired network mac is not
    the ideal location. (e.g. don't want to go to my daughter's room to
    pick up a paper I've printed out).

    thx, Bruce

    brucebiz_wi, Nov 1, 2005
  4. The AirPort Extreme Base Station transparently bridges the wired
    (Ethernet) physical network connected to its LAN port with the wireless
    (802.11) physical network it creates and manages. Any Mac or PC
    connected to the base station through either method will only "see" one
    network, will be able to see any other Mac or PC on that common network,
    and will be able to print to a shared USB printer on that network
    (assuming the Mac or PC is running the appropriate printing and
    networking software).

    For more information, see the FAQs and documentation available at
    Apple's AirPort Support site <http://www.apple.com/support/airport/>.

    Neill Massello, Nov 1, 2005
  5. Is there a router in here ? Or does you cable modem include router
    functionality
    I am doing that right now with two PowerMacs on hardwired Ethernet and a
    shared laser printer connected to the USB port on an Airport Basestation. I
    found that I had to first connect the printer directly to the Mac and set up
    the pritner, then connect via the Airport device.
    I haven't tried.

    Look at the Apple support area for Airport. They have some good
    documentation on setting up networks, including shared printers.

    Robert L. Haar, Nov 2, 2005
  6. brucebiz_wi

    brucebiz_wi Guest

    Thanks, I thought it would be this way, but wanted to hear someone
    confirm it before I recommend this setup to my wfe.

    Bruce

    brucebiz_wi, Nov 2, 2005
  7. Bruce-

    I'm fairly sure the answer is yes. However there is a monkeywrench in the
    works. You should only have one router for the network, and your cable
    modem box is most likely providing that function.

    The more conventional approach is to connect the WAN port of the Airport
    to the cable modem box. The cable modem box only supplies an IP address
    to the Airport, which provides the routing function to the rest of the
    network. The Airport assigns a different set of IP addresses to wireless
    machines as well as to machines connected to its LAN port. The trouble
    with this is that you have more than one wired machine, so an Ethernet hub
    would be needed to interface between the Airport's one LAN port and your
    other wired machines.

    It would probably help if you checked out the Apple Airport references
    provided by others. If you proceed by trial-and-error, you may find that
    some things work and others don't, such as not being able to see the
    wireless side from the wired side.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 3, 2005
  8. brucebiz_wi

    brucebiz_wi Guest

    Thanks Fred,

    If I understand you right, the wrinkle is that if there is a router
    elsewhere on the network (as there is), the line in to the airport
    should go to the LAN port (with the ethernet symbol) and not the WAN
    port (the one with the little dots in a circle).

    In my case, the cable modem has only one RJ-45 cable coming out of it.
    That cable goes directly to a (Vonage) router. The router in turn has
    a cable that goint to the AirPort's WAN [sic] port and seems to work
    fine for wireless interent. I haven't tried print serving yet. The
    wired router also has two cables going to LAN computers, which work
    fine for accessing internet.

    I think the setup also works with the router cable going to the LAN
    port. I thought it interesting that I noticed no difference between
    the ports.

    IIRC, routers can be daisychained, provided that that you avoid trying
    to connect two router input sockets together (maybe it's ok if they go
    through a hub). Maybe this would explain why things are working for me
    so far. Address translations might complicate the print serving,
    though... I will need to test this.

    Thanks,
    Bruce

    brucebiz_wi, Nov 3, 2005