Problem: A7N8X-VM/400 w/ AGP-NV-DVI & TV-out feature

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Spiro M. Telegadis, May 19, 2004.

  1. This is a request to the rest of the Asus A7N8X-VM owners that have
    bought the companion AGP-NV-DVI card. I'm not able to get TV out
    working, either through Composite or S-Video, in Windows 2000 or
    Linux, and I was curious if anyone else has or is having the same
    problem.

    System Specification is as follows:
    Asus A7N8X-VM/400 (BIOS AMI Version 08.00.09 Build Date 11/25/03 ID
    A000700)
    AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 2500 CPU
    Asus AGP-NV-DVI Add-on Card /w S-video and Composite Out
    1 Chip of 512MB PNY Memory (Samsung IC's)
    1 Maxtor 120Gig DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 Hard Drive (WIN32)
    Alternate Maxtor 120Gig DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 Hard Drive (LINUX)
    1 Kworld TV878RF-Pro TV Tuner Card (BT878)
    Memorex MX5050 105key Windows KeyBoard
    Microsoft Optical USB 2Button Scroll Mouse
    Geasung 250Watt MicroATX Power Supply
    Ahanix Extreme MicroATX Case
    Samsung CDRW/DVD Model SM-332B CD40/DVD12/W32/WR10
    Samsung SyncMaster 172w Monitor 1 via DVI
    NEC MultiSync E750 Monitor 2 via VGA (Hsync 31.0-92.0; Vsync
    55.0-160.0)
    Sharp 27N-S50 Television (w/ 2 Composite Video Connections)
    GrandTec ULTIMATE XP PRO (PC to Video Component)
    Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 (No Conflicts with Hardware)
    Alternate Drive of same spec Running Gentoo2004.1 "CK-Sources" Kernel
    2.6

    BTW: Asus customer service has to be the worst I've ever delt with.
    They are always "Busy Helping other customers" which is usually
    followed by "A technician will call you back as soon as possible."
    I've been dealing with this problem since Mar 17, 2004 and no one has
    yet to call me back.

    Anyways here's the log for a giggle. Need less to say I'm waiting to
    hear back from the Supervisor. At least now I'll be ignored by upper
    managment.

    [3/17/2004 12:22:00 PM - nick23]
    We will need MORE INFORMATION to process your request. Please call our
    phone support center at 502-995-0883 with your EXACT system
    configuration and a more detailed description of the problem that you
    are having.

    Thank you!

    [3/18/2004 8:08:00 PM - ]
    All Devices Are function properly with the exception of the DVI
    Daugther Card's S-Video and Composite out Feature. This is the main
    reason I purchased this motherboard and daughter card.

    I have tried downloading and reinstalling the drivers for the systems
    components, running the system with each monitor indivually and
    combined, and unplugging the TV Tuner Card. The setting under the bios
    specify NTSC for the TV out format Nothing has had an effect on the
    video output of the AGP-NV-DVI card.

    All I receive from the Television for a fraction of second is a
    flicker of the computer screen in B&W when I select the Television
    output from the nVidia GeForece4 MX Intergrated GPU Properties Tab
    "Device Selection" Menu

    The Television is working with the system via the GrandTec Unit, and
    via my VCR.

    [3/19/2004 7:32:00 AM - ]
    Called Back to speak to tech and left my phone # (954) 839-8708 with
    rep GLEN @10:30AM EST 3/19/2004

    [3/22/2004 6:46:00 AM - Robbie19]
    Customer using agp-nv-dvi agp card, that is supposed to work with this
    motherboard. Whenever selecting to output to the tv, he gets a quick
    flicker and then the video goes out again. He has attempted to connect
    to another tv. Same problems. Also tried loading linux, to see if
    still had problems. No difference. Beginning to sound like a possible
    bad card. Suggested trying a different power supply, run the
    motherboard outside of the case. If you still have problems then
    please contact Customer Service at 510-739-3777 option 3. Thank you!

    psu 250w (+12v=9a,+5v=15a,+3.3v=10a)

    [3/22/2004 7:47:00 AM - steve23]
    Tried system out of case with Antec 400W psu, heard a "pop" sound and
    smelled smoke; nothing works, system won't power up, with or without
    the card; smell seems to be coming from around the AGP slot

    Customer needs RMA

    [4/19/2004 7:45:00 PM - ]
    Okay, got the system board (A7N8X-VM/400) and daughter card
    (AGP-NV-DVI) back from the RMA department. I hook up all the parts and
    pieces to the power supply and the SAME PROBLEM. Exactly the same as
    the last time. I did notice one new thing. When I went to check the
    connection of the Composite Video Cable a small spark jumped from the
    AGP Cards resistor, Marked R20??, to the AGP Connector on the system
    board, causing the system to reset and including the CMOS. That
    doesn't look good at all. Funny thing is that was happening before I
    just didn't notice it, and I think thats what caused the last failure.
    Bottom line the Card and System still don't do what I need them to do.
    Help with this feature would be greatly appreciated since it is why I
    purchased this system and daughter card.

    [4/20/2004 6:07:00 PM - ]
    Called tech support and left message that same problem is occuring.
    Waiting for call back.

    [4/21/2004 6:25:00 AM - steve23]
    The sparks probably indicate a static electricity problem--not really
    a good thing. This is two power-type issues you have had since
    changing the power supply--perhaps there is something wrong with the
    Antec you picked up? The parts you received from RMA either a) worked
    properly in their lab after repair, or b) were sent as working
    replacements for the parts you sent to them. Either way, they should
    function correctly. Since you had a problem initially when using the
    Antec, and now are having what looks like static problems, perhaps
    that particular power supply has issues of its own.

    Regarding the TV out problem: Make sure the television is turned on
    and connected to the card before turning on the computer. You may also
    want to try a different video cable to see if that helps.

    If a different power supply doesn't help the condition of the boards,
    unfortunately the only option left is to contact RMA once again.
    Please give these suggestions a try, and let us know if you need
    anything else.

    [5/14/2004 1:38:00 PM - lesliegat]
    same problem since march the tv out feature isn't working w/ the card
    in the pc. doesn't really want to go through a another RMA call back
    after

    [5/14/2004 1:44:00 PM - ]
    Called RMA Dept after receiving replacement board. According to
    "Ratan", the RMA rep I spoke with, the board is functionaly with
    respect all features including TV out.

    Next, I called Tech support and left a message with Less who informed
    me that I should receive a return phone call no later than end of day
    Monday 12PM. Which means if I do not hear back from tech support
    before then it will result in me contacting tech support again on
    tuesday the 18th of may.

    I will not connect or test any of the products previously described
    util I speak with a technical support agent.

    [5/18/2004 5:41:00 PM - ]
    Calling back because ONCE again no one has return my call.

    [5/18/2004 5:49:00 PM - ]
    left a message with supervision (Lee) voice mail. I am awaiting a
    return phone call.

    [5/19/2004 10:16:00 AM - ]
    No return Call calling back AGAIN. Waiting to speak to a supervisor.

    Spiro M. Telegadis, May 19, 2004

  2. Spiro M. Telegadis

    Paul Guest

    I'm a little confused. Part way through your log, there is mention
    of a resistor from an "AGP card" touching the "AGP socket".

    Are you using an AGP video card with the A7N8X-VM/400 ?
    If you are, the onboard video would be disabled while the AGP
    card is installed, and the onboard TV output won't work either!

    As far as the adapter itself is concerned, it has five pins, but
    the Asus manual, in its usual style, doesn't label the pins.

    To answer questions like this, I download an MSI manual, for
    a motherboard which is as similar to the Asus board as possible.
    In this case, it is the K7N2GM, and on page 38, there is mention
    of a similar connector (JTV1) to the Asus:

    http://us-download.msi.com.tw/support/mnu_exe/mbd_mnu/E6777v1.1.exe

    The pin configuration isn't exactly the same, but the connector has
    five signals on it:

    1 GND 4 CVBS
    2 Yout 5 GND
    3 Cout

    I think pins 1-2-3 give the SVHS connector signals, and 4-5 are
    used for composite baseband video.

    The swing on such signals, should be about 1V or so, into 75
    ohms ? Maybe the motherboard even has jack sensing, in which
    case the video will only work, if the graphics core senses
    there is a load connected to the adapter.

    In any case, there is nothing active on the Asus adapter. It
    might have some filtering components, to meet FCC emission
    requirements, but other than that, it just provides connectors.

    So, please clarify whether you are using a video card or not.
    If you are, the motherboard TV out won't work. Also, examine
    the video card carefully, as I'm having trouble understanding
    how a resistor on the video card can actually touch the AGP
    slot.

    A picture would help. Do you have a web site ?

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 20, 2004

  3. Paul,

    Thanks for your interest in this post. To answer your question with
    respect to this product and the equivalent MSI there is one variation.
    the Asus Product Allows for TV output via a Dongle adapter which
    connects to an onboard connector, or via an Add on Daughter Card which
    utilizes the AGP Socket to add functionality of DVI and TV-output
    combined, Utilizing the IGP onboard. Heres a photo of the product:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-209-01.JPG/13-131-209-05.JPG/13-131-209-03.JPG

    So Techincally its not a "Video Card" but it interfaces like one.

    BTW: Newegg is who I purchased it from.

    What I believe you are talking about it the first of the two. As
    shown in:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-211-02.JPG/13-131-211-03.JPG

    The Problem with the card and a short with the AGP socket is, in my
    opinion, a factor of the quality the product, AGP-NV-DVI. I gather
    that because using the same nVidia unified driver with another Asus
    Video Card the V9520/TD TV out works fine. In that instance I am
    bypassing the IGP and using the TV out of the Video Card. In
    addition DVI on the AGP-NV-DVI works fine. So there's something
    screwy going on.

    Your also right about the Jack sensing. Everthing is plugged in and
    on when the computer starts. However, the problem is that the jack on
    the card isn't working with TV-out. Every other Video connection
    functions fine.

    With respect to your comment about the resistor and the AGP socket.
    There is no physical contact with the two. The proximity is, IMHO,
    too close causing a short to jump. If you refer to the picture of the
    card previously linked you will see a resistor at the leading edge of
    the inside portion of the connector. The only reason I make that
    comment is because it happened twice once inside the case once outside
    on an ESD pad, with two different PFC power supplies.

    I'm speaking to a supervisior at ASUS now. Who is not returning my
    calls either. I called again today and got the brush off. If I don't
    hear back from them today I'm writing to the head of the company about
    the lack of service and responsible buisness like behavior they have
    exhibited. You can be sure I will update the post if, or should I
    say, when that occurs.

    I have been extremely dissappointed in this whole experience and it
    has soured my opinion of Asus.

    Spiro M. Telegadis, May 25, 2004

  4. RESOLUTION!
    ASUS SCREWED UP. Even though they won't admit it. The product they
    have, the AGP-NV-DVI, should not have TV-out connectors. That feature
    should only be supported via the AV/S Daughter Card. These Cards were
    produced by mistake. The tech was trying to tell me that Newegg sold
    me the wrong card, but you can tell by the PCB that its right the
    feature just isn't supported.

    Bottom line is the card is being replaced and they are sending me a TV
    out AV/S Daughter card.

    WHAT A PAIN!

    Spiro M. Telegadis, May 27, 2004