    corruption? What do the first two wires on an IDE cable actually do? Thanks
    for the help!

    Xavier

    Xavier, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Xavier

    J Morita Guest

    Device manager > ide controller > driver > choose Microsoft standard
    controller > reboot

    J Morita, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Xavier

    dr_hardware Guest

    WD drives are known to have this problem. If using the drive as a single OS
    drive, the jumper should be *removed* (it says this on the drive, itself, I
    believe). Don't know what leads you cut, but repair them and run the drive
    without the jumper and all should be OK.

    dr_hardware, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Xavier

    homer Guest

    the red line is the reset line, it does no harm cutting that line.
    i used to cut that line, when i had my h/d in my old amiga
    it stops the h/d spinning up and down when you reset
    the computer.

    what the second line is just a ground line from what i can find out
    http://inf33-www.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de/infothek/computer/tutorial/epr
    mhtml/eprmb/1290.htm

    hope that helps
    homer