Problem w/ A7N8X Connecting Front Mic

Discussion in 'Asus' started by -S-, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. -S-

    -S- Guest

    I've seen other posts on google groups with a similiar problem to mine
    .... namely connecting the front case mic cables to the motherboard. I
    cannot seem to correctly map the nodes supllied with my case to what
    is labeled on the motherboard.

    Motherboard (a7n8x deluxe):
    Mic2 x x AGND
    MicPWR x x +5VA

    Case Mic Node Labels:
    MicVCC
    MicData
    MicGND

    I can guess the ground ... I'm not that bad off, but can you help me
    match the Data and VCC to the correct pins on the motherboard?

    Thank you for your time.

    Case MB
    ------ -----
    MicGND = AGND
    MicVCC = ???
    MicData = ???

    -S-, Jul 11, 2003

  2. -S-

    Kenny Guest

    Just checked manual for my A7N8X, not deluxe, and although the +5VA isn't
    there the Mic2, AGND MicPWR are. Most mics except for the newer digital
    types and electret condenser types (which use a battery) don't need power,
    just signal & ground. If I was connecting a standard mic to mine I would
    take the signal to Mic2 and the ground to AGND and ignore MicPWR, that will
    be for a digital mic. AGND simply means audio ground which means it's
    common to all audio signals. Case side VCC implies a voltage supply, again
    a standard mic doesn't need it and may damage it, the board or both if used.
    VCC would correspond to MicPWR on the board. Data implies a signal, could
    be taken as either digital or analogue depending on source and destination.
    If it's a standard mic it will be analogue, if a digital mic then obviously
    a digital signal. Is the front mic connector a standard jack socket? If so
    use a multimeter to see if the Data is connected to the centre on the jack
    socket. If so you can take it as signal.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jul 12, 2003

  3. -S-

    Kenny Guest

    Slight correction, the +5VA IS there on my A7N8X but as regards connecting a
    mic I'd ignore that as well.

    Kenny, Jul 12, 2003