Problem with a new Dell Dimension 8300

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Frank K., Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Frank K.

    Frank K. Guest

    System:
    Dell Dimension 8300
    P-4, 3.4 GH
    1Gig Ram
    Win XP Pro

    About once a day, when I click on the Internet Explorer icon on the launch
    bar, I see the hourglass for a few seconds, but IE does not come up. If I
    click the icon a second time the same thing happens. I will then shut down
    the computer. The shut down takes a few minutes to reach the WinXP log off
    screen and stops there. I cannot associated this behavior with any operation
    prior to the problem.

    I know that diagnosis is difficult with the info above, but maybe someone
    has had the same problem and may have a solution or suggestion.

    Thank you.

    Frank

    Frank K., Apr 13, 2004

  2. Frank K.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Frank -

    Has it been acting this way since you got the machine, or is this new
    behavior? If you can recall, what is the timeline for when the problem
    started?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Frank K.

    Frank K. Guest

    Stew

    I don't remember it happening when I first got the computer, which was March
    19th. It has been happening for probably two weeks or so.

    Frank

    Frank K., Apr 13, 2004
  4. Frank K.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Frank,

    Perhaps try a 'system restore' back to around April 1st. Keep in mind, in
    doing so you won't lose data, but you will have to reinstall any programs
    installed since the restore date.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Frank K.

    Rerat/Rich Guest

    Frank K.,
    It appears that there has been a rash of Homepage Hijacking problems recently, and you may have this problem.
    Do you have a firewall install on your PC, or are running this PC in a network behind a router? Have you check for any spyware or viruses that may have been secretly installed on your PC.

    1. Run a firewall on this PC.
    a. At a minimum use the firewall in WinXP.
    b. Use the free version of Zone-Alarm, or any firewall that may be part of your Anti-virus suite.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    2. You should run your AV program with the latest signature update.
    3. Download and install the following Spyware detection/removal software:
    a. Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    b. Spybot Search & Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Rerat/Rich, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Frank K.

    Frank K. Guest

    Stew,

    I did a restore a couple of days ago with no change.

    Frank

    Frank K., Apr 14, 2004
  7. Frank K.

    Frank K. Guest

    Frank K.,
    It appears that there has been a rash of Homepage Hijacking problems
    recently, and you may have this problem.

    I may go through a complete shutdown and boot three or more times a day due
    to other activities I get involved with. The problem does NOT happen during
    each boot.

    Do you have a firewall install on your PC, or are running this PC in a
    network behind a router? Have you check for any spyware or viruses that may
    have been secretly installed on your PC.

    No firewall, no router. I have Mcafee installed and it keeps up with the
    newest virus definitions. I also have Spysweeper in auto-protect mode.

    Frank K., Apr 14, 2004
  8. Frank K.

    Rerat/Rich Guest

    Frank,
    1. Since you are connecting to the Internet with a broadband connection (Comcast), you should/must use a firewall protecting your PC. At a minimum use the one that comes with WinXP. Or install software on the PC, if you insist using McAffee, go to their site, and purchase their firewall product to work with their AV program. Better yet, install a router w/firewall protection between the cable modem and your PC, this way you can add PC's to your home network much easier, in the future. They can be found at stores for $40-$60 (wired), or $80-$100 (wireless), there may be specials out there, that will reduce the price.

    2. Since you are connected to Comcast, and I have Comcast in Ann Arbor/Detroit MI area, I can relate to your problem. I had a problem with them, each month around the 10th to 15th, that the connection would be dropped, and I had to either reboot PC several times. Or pull the power cable out of the cable modem, so it would reset the modem. Somehow the DHCP connection was lost. I thought they were running monthly maintenance on system and screwing things up, because it was happening around 4 am in the morning. They would not say if they were.

    So it seems that I had to renew the lease for the DHCP connection. Somehow it would not renew automatically, or was just dropped by Comcast.. I believe that this became a problem when Comcast merge their Ann Arbor & Detroit operations of their cable/internet systems, into one. In addition I believe that they were updating/upgrading their internet system in my area from 1 Mbps to a 3 Mbps. Which was causing these disconnects, but Comcast did not admit to these problems. Here is what I had to do for awhile to fix problem, but has not been a problem for awhile now.

    Start button> Network Connections> Click Local Area Connection> Advance tab> Press Repair button. You may have to reboot PC, sometimes not. Or you can remove power cable from Cable modem, wait ten (10) secs, let modem reboot> and try again to connect to Internet.

    4. Also if you are leasing your cable modem from Comcast. I originally had the RCA DCM235 model. They came and replaced it with the RCA DCM305 model. I can't remmeber exactly if this was at the same time as I had the problem similar to yours. Maybe you need an updated modem for their new services. I would also consider, having them come out and test your cable/internet lines. Everytime they upgraded their service (analog, digital, high definition), I had problems with connection fron them. I live in an appartment, so that may have been a problem, and might not be your problem if you are in a house.

    Sorry this seems so "long-winded", never was good with English, and writting essays, to get a point accross. I hope that it helps in your situation.

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Rerat/Rich, Apr 14, 2004
  9. Frank K.

    ELR Guest

    If you haven't yet, try disabling third-party browser extensions in IE. Do
    this through Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced tab. It's about halfway
    down under the "Browsing" subcategory. Uncheck if checked. Reboot.

    Did it help? If so, you've got spyware, or spyware remnants.

    ELR, Apr 14, 2004