    The perfect solution would be if Artist determined the folder, and it
    was possible to change the Album Artist if desired. Anyone know more?

    Thanks!

    Daniel Lidström, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Daniel Lidström

    Guest Guest

    I haven't come across 'album artist' yet, but it sounds like this is to
    accommodate things like DJ mixes, where one DJ mixed the whole album and
    it is made up of tracks by various artists. Often the DJ becomes better
    known than the artists he plays. Sometimes it's the artists' own fault
    for having very odd names.

    As for the feat. thing, I found it best to put that in the song title in
    (). The way my iTunes has always worked is that anyhting by Fred ft.
    Cornelis would end up in a directory called Fred ft. Cornelis, not just
    fred. I'm a bit baffled that you could do this!

    Andy

    Guest, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Daniel Lidström

    allan.sheard Guest

    Hey Daniel,

    You need to do the exact opposite of what you did: Enter Fred as the
    "Album Artist" and enter Fred feat. Cornelius, etc. as the "Artist".
    Once you do that, all the tracks should consolidate into one album by
    Fred. It is a tad confusing, but "Album Artist" means that it is "Fred
    the artist's album" and other "artists" are featured on it.

    Hope this helps you out...it did for me with Peeping Tom.

    Allan

    allan.sheard, Sep 16, 2006
  4. Daniel Lidström

    allan.sheard Guest

    Oops...I take that back (partially). What I suggested does consolidate
    the tracks as one album in iTunes, however there are still multiple
    artist folders in the directory. Maybe you can cut and paste the
    "featuring" files into one big Fred folder, I'm not sure.

    I think what would solve this problem is if iTunes gave you the option
    of creating an album directory as opposed to the default artist
    directory.

    allan.sheard, Sep 16, 2006
  5. Daniel Lidström

    allan.sheard Guest

    Wow I keep speaking before I experiment....I just tried to cut the
    separate "featuring" files from the Lauryn Hill album and paste them
    into one folder. I worked, that is until I played the tracks
    again...the folders were automatically separated again. Hmm...maybe
    Andy has the best answer....put the "featuring" artist in the song
    title, that way you'll have one Fred album in iTunes and one Fred
    directory.

    allan.sheard, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Daniel Lidström

    MacDork Guest

    I typically enter the Artist as "Fred", and put "Featuring Cornelis" in
    the comments section. This cleans up the files on the hard disk, in the
    iTunes library display and on my iPod's artist display. You lose a bit
    of the visibility of who's featured, but ...... I don't care. I'd much
    rather have the neat organization.

    Optionally, you can disable the auto-hard disk management in the
    Preferences, but manually managing the files is tiresome.

    MacDork, Sep 16, 2006
  7. Daniel Lidström

    Jolly Roger Guest

    Or put it somewhere else, like in the Notes. ; )

    Jolly Roger, Sep 16, 2006
  8. Daniel Lidström

    Guest Guest

    It does, sort of... any albums you check as 'part of a compilation' has
    the tracks put in its own directory as a subdirectory of 'Compilations'
    in 'iTunes Music'. Another place you could put the 'feat.' bit is in the
    comments. It would still come up under a search. That might be better if
    you have track names like "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Banzai
    Republic Vs Trentemoller Vocal Mix) feat. Maria Papadopoulou & Ani
    Choying Drolma"

    Maybe that's what the 24" screens are for?

    Andy

    Guest, Sep 16, 2006
  9. Daniel Lidström

    zit Guest

    A standard way to handle songs with more than one artist is needed.
    Even a standard delimiter would help.
    Ones sees:
    < and > <&> < & > <,> <, > </> < / > < + >
    < ft. > < ft > < feat. > <feat: > < feat > < Y > <-> < - >
    < with > <w/> <( w/ ...)> < (...)> < (with ...)> < (duet with ...)>

    With n artists, some permutation of n-1 of these are used.
    I prefer <a, b, c> to <a, b, & c>
    Then, <&> can be used for a team, like <Wayne & Shuster, Jack Benny>
    Group names can have a comma, so that's not a good choice either.

    Dr. Google returns equal hits for "Peter, Paul & Mary" and "Peter, Paul
    and Mary"

    For fewer directories, leading & trailing blanks should be stripped by
    default.
    Leading definite articles should neither be stripped nor put at the
    end.
    ITMS has both "Boston Pops Orchestra" and "The Boston Pops Orchestra"
    They list "UHF" and "Uhf" as different artists. Thankfully iTunes
    doesn't do that.
    They often put the "feat." in both the name and artist fields:
    Isn't This a Lovely Day (Layo & Bushwacka Remix) [Featuring Ella
    Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong]
    Ella Fitzgerald, Layo & Bushwacka! & Louis Armstrong

    Hmmm. I'm rambling & way off topic. Bye :)

    zit, Sep 17, 2006