    something to do with a CMOS battery or would that not matter if the unit is
    always plugged in and it wont even get as far as the BIOS?

    Licensed to Quill

    Licensed to Quill, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Licensed to Quill

    Dave Guest

    Try another power supply on it.
    Dave

    Dave, Aug 14, 2003

  3. REPLY AFTER BLACKOUT:

    Replacing the power supply sounds an extraordinarily drastic step.

    Are we sure it would help? The thing DOES turn on, it just wont get into
    even any part of any initial stage of going through the BIOS.

    This computer has 5 SCSI CDs . All the lights on each of the 5 SCSI CDs
    turn on and instead of doing anything, they just stay on?? (I think that
    they always turned on after the switch was pushed and then went off
    virtually immediately) NOW those LEDs won't turn off.

    Nothing is sent from the computer to the monitor at all: Its not as if it
    wont turn on, it just does nothing after turn on. Wouldn't this indicate
    that the power supply is OK?? Or can there be a stage whereby the power
    supply will turn on but not feed anything through to the rest of the MB?
    (in which case, wouldn't even that part of the power supply eventually die
    and / or even those lights go off?)

    And it is not as if the monitor takes any power from the computer? Doesn't
    the monitor have its own power supply?
    Now much more power can it take to get from turning off all those LEDs
    towards getting into the BIOS?

    Licensed to Quill

    Licensed to Quill, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Licensed to Quill

    c Guest

    Did you try resetting the BIOS by using the clear CMOS jumper? It's very
    possible the BIOS was corrupted.

    Chris

    c, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Yes, that sounds like it (I didn't even know it was a jumper)

    Now lets see if I can find my manual to ascertain where that jumper is

    Many thanks

    L2Q

    Licensed to Quill, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Licensed to Quill

    Dave Guest

    I just repaired a pc that exhibited those symptoms and it turned out to be
    the power supply. It had enough power to make the fans and drives come on
    but the 3.3 volt line was low and it would not initialize the motherboard.
    It's best to borrow a power supply from someone else's pc to try.

    Dave

    Dave, Aug 17, 2003
  7. If we are talking possibilities of power supplies being at fault, I wonder
    if there is any chance with this severely ancient 233 Mhz motherboard that
    this might be a dead CMOS battery? I had never come across CMOS batteries
    dying before but I cant imagine that those Lithium batteries can last
    forever? And if you unplug the computer, all CMOS info will be lost, wont
    it?

    Licensed to Quill, Aug 31, 2003