problem with audigy card - crackle and pops

Discussion in 'Abit' started by A.Gray, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. A.Gray

    A.Gray Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am having trouble with my SoundBlaster Audigy card and am wondering if
    anyone could help me out. First, the specs on my computer:

    ABitKR7A-Raid Mobo with via chipset. (via driver 4in1 4.51 [most recent
    I could find], System bios version 6.00PG [CX release which is the most
    recent I could find],
    Athlon XP 1600+,
    SB Audigy DE (using original driver from cd, and latest downloaded ones,
    the same problem exists)
    Geforce 3 TI200
    Highpoint 372 onboard raid controller (v2.32 bios and 2.34 driver)

    Now, the problem is that the sound on my audigy card crackles and pops a
    lot, especially when there is IDE activity. It's awful! It first
    started when I started using my HighPoint 372 raid array to mirror two
    of my drives (which are identical). It seems that the audigy doesn't
    like it when the highpoint raid controller is on.

    I initially thought it was the card itself, so I purchased a Vibra 128
    card on the cheap to get me by, but it was actually worse!!! So I
    booted up linux, and hey presto, the sound is perfect. So it's not
    necessarily the card.

    A search on the internet shows up that a lot of people have had this
    problem, especially with the SoundBlaster Live cards. But I haven't
    found anyone who has a solution to the problem. They kept saying it was
    a problem with the cards from Creative. They also said that it was
    prevalent with via chipsets.

    So:
    1. I started using raid, and my sound went to crap
    2. My sound works fine under linux, as far as I could tell
    3. many people suggest that this problem is to do with creative and via
    problems
    4. someone even said it was to do with a limitation of the via chipset
    where it doesn't implement a feature of the PCI standard.
    5. others have said it's to do with ACPI
    6. nearly all have said either get rid of raid, or use a different sound
    card

    So basically........HELP!!! Help me out please. How can I get my sound
    card to work properly, and not fork out money on a new mobo or raid
    controller or sound card?

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

    I appreciate your help in advance. Thanks.

    - Andrew Gray

    A.Gray, Feb 7, 2004

  2. A.Gray

    TomG Guest

    have you tried matching the Highpoint bios and driver versions? that is
    usually a good idea, to have them matched. I carry mobo bios sets on my
    server at the address below and the custom bios sets, in the event Abit did
    not release a version with 2.34 Highpoint bios insert already in it, are
    located under the /beta section.

    sometimes, in the past, folks got some relief from this problem by playing
    with the PCI Latency timer if matching the Highpoint bios and driver
    versions don't provide relief.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 7, 2004

  3. A.Gray

    Chris Catt Guest

    Hi, here http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/ might have something you
    can use to fix your crackling issues.....
    Chris C

    Chris Catt, Feb 7, 2004
  4. A.Gray

    John Lewis Guest

    You probably have interrupt contention between the HPT372 and
    the Audigy. The HPT372 shares interrupts with one or more
    MB slots. Have you tried moving the Audigy card to another slot ?

    Via boards are notorious for having problems with the 4-in-1
    drivers and video cards/driver-versions. However, I am not sure
    of conflicts with Sound cards.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 7, 2004
  5. A.Gray

    Andrew Gray Guest

    Hi Tom, I have seen some of your posts previously when I searched
    Google. Now, I did try to upgrade the bios of the bighpoint controller,
    but when I did, the flash program complained saying it couldnt find a
    bios or something like that. I shall try it again, and see if there is
    anything on your server. Thanks

    By the way, have you heard of dyndns.org for your server? install it,
    then you can have a static domain address, which always points to your
    dynamic IP address. eg, tomsdrivers.dyndns.org points to 68.98.180.8 or
    whatever IP address you have at the time. it's great! and free!

    I'll write back with my results. Thanks!

    - Andy Gray

    Andrew Gray, Feb 8, 2004
  6. A.Gray

    Jeff Mason Guest

    These drivers have been known to solve similar issues for other
    people.

    http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

    Jeff Mason, Feb 8, 2004
  7. A.Gray

    Andrew Gray Guest

    Hi Again, Tom,

    Okay, I have matched the highpoint driver and bios to 2.32. Since it's
    an onboard highpoint chip, the bios is stored in the system bios, and so
    is dependant on abit...the most recent bios they released for the
    highpoint is 2.32. So that's what I using, both driver and bios.

    I also tried Jeff Masons kx drivers. They work fairly well considering.
    However, the problem still persists, even with these completely
    different drivers. So alas, I am still not going right. Although, I
    must say that the kx drivers did seem to be popping and crackling less
    than the creative drivers. But still, they did crackle and pop none the
    less.

    Any other ideas, anyone?? Ta.

    - Andrew Gray

    (now, I have highpoint 2.32 driver and bios installed,
    kx driver for the audigy card, but can go back to creative drivers,
    latest abit bios for the kr7a-raid mobo. Windows XP pro.)

    Andrew Gray, Feb 8, 2004
  8. A.Gray

    Andrew Gray Guest

    Hi,

    I have tried the kx drivers, and they work okay, but there is still
    plenty of popping and crackling going on (although there is perhaps
    slightly less than the creative drivers).

    Any other ideas? Ta

    Andrew Gray, Feb 8, 2004
  9. A.Gray

    Andrew Gray Guest

    Hi,

    I have just tried it in a variety of different slots, however, there is
    no change. The sound is still crackly and pops a lot.

    Any other ideas?

    Thank you.

    - Andrew Gray

    Andrew Gray, Feb 8, 2004
  10. A.Gray

    TomG Guest

    you cannot flash the Highpoint bios directly. you have to flash the
    Highpoint bios by virtue of flashing the mainboard bios with a version that
    contains the desired Highpoint insert. so what you need to do is go in
    search of a mainboard bios version that has 2.34 Highpoint bios in it.
    I use DNS2GO from Deerfield.com. It used to be free but they recently
    started charging a nominal fee. still, I do have a static address as a
    result.
    good luck...

    TomG, Feb 8, 2004
  11. A.Gray

    TomG Guest

    at least the two versions are matched... however, you are not limited to
    Abit for bios choices. they are the source for the mainboard bios, for
    sure. but we can and do add in our own Highpoint inserts... that is why my
    very first post to you directed you to look on my server.
    does your board bios have a PCI Latency Timer setting under the PCI/PNP
    section of the bios setup?

    TomG, Feb 8, 2004
  12. A.Gray

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Are you running winxp?

    Most drivers are fully tested with the most current operating systems.
    If your running an older os, like win98, finding a "golden" driver
    version may be required.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Feb 8, 2004
  13. A.Gray

    Andrew Gray Guest

    Tom, interesting you should say that!

    Unfortunately, my pc has not coped too well with all the changes I've
    made, and eventually, windows stopped booting properly. I got it going
    again, but there were just tons of little things that were not working
    just right. So I decided to re-install. However, one thing that did
    start working right was that the sound stopped crackling. Now there
    were two things that happened just prior to the sound working again.
    These were: I installed some drivers from George Breese, and 2, I
    enabled the PCI Delay Transaction in the bios (it was disabled
    previously). After the reboot (silly me, I did both these things at the
    same time, instead of one after the other), windows found it needed to
    do a chkdsk...strange...but then ta-da, the music was flawless! I was
    interested to see what made the change, so I shutdown the pc, disabled
    the PCI Delay Transaction, rebooted it...and then horror of all horrors,
    my my HDD's were missing half the folders on the disk! ie, Program
    Files, Windows, and Documents and Settings (were missing). Others were
    there however...very strange. Also, windows wouldn't boot, and the
    windows XP recovery disk didn't recognise an installation. Anyway,
    after much work, I did get windows going again, but it was not working
    right at all (to get it going again, I had to split the mirror and move
    one disk onto the primary ide). Tried to get it all going again, in the
    end decided to re-install my PC. I have the drives on the Highpoint
    chain, but they are not in a raid configuration. I am installing on one
    disk, and copying data off the other. When I am done, I will re-make
    the raid 1 array and see how the sound goes then. I am also leaving the
    PCI Delay Transaction enabled for the time being. so far so good, sound
    is fine.

    So that's the latest.

    I'll update you with the results when I mirror the drives. I'm feeling
    very cautions at the moment, after nearly losing my data :-( but got
    it all back in the end :), but had to spend a day re-installing windows
    and apps :-(

    Cheers

    - Andrew Gray

    Andrew Gray, Feb 9, 2004
  14. A.Gray

    Steve-O Guest

    From Paul's Unofficial ABIT KR7A-RAID FAQ:
    http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=7

    Try setting the BIOS Setting "PCI Master Bus Timeout" to 001. I had
    similar problems with my Audigy 2 ZS until I changed that setting.

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Steve-O, Feb 10, 2004
  15. A.Gray

    John Borges Guest

    You can also try a different pci slot, one that isnt sharing interrupts
    with the ide. I had a similar problem with my TH7-II Raid and an Audigy.

    Abit eventually released an updated bios (the current one) that fixed
    the problem and allowed me to put the card in any pci slot again.

    John Borges, Feb 15, 2004
  16. A.Gray

    Andrew Gray Guest

    Yeh, tried that.