    I can't even figure if it is a hardware or a software problem!
    Thanks in advance,
    Leachim Sredna

    Leachim Sredna, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Leachim Sredna

    thoss Guest

    At 13:06:59 on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 Leachim Sredna opined:-
    This amounts to saying that the drive can no longer read CDs. Since CDs
    and DVDs are AIUI read by different lasers, it could be that the CD
    laser, but not the DVD laser, has failed. I have had the reverse fault
    on a CD/DVD RW drive, which will now only read and write CDs.

    If you can network the laptop to another computer, you could install
    programs from there. Or on another computer copy the installation CD to
    a flash drive.

    thoss, Aug 14, 2007

  3. "Combo" drives use two separate lasers for CD and DVD reading, so it's
    possible for the CD laser to fail while the DVD laser still works. And,
    by default, Windows XP doesn't have a DVD decoder. BUT you should be
    able to still "explore" the DVD as a data disc with Windows Explorer or
    even just "My Computer". If you can do that, the DVD side is working,
    and if you then can't read CDs, it's likely that the drive is bad.

    Note that your "swappable" drive is a standard drive in a model-specific
    caddy that makes it swappable.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Thanks, chaps, I think you're right, the CD reading part of the drive has
    failed, leaving the DVD part still functioning.

    Barry, you wrote: >>Note that your "swappable" drive is a standard drive in
    a model-specific
    caddy that makes it swappable.>>

    This suggests to met that it might be possible to remove the drive from its
    model-specific module and replace the combo CD/DVD-ROM part as a unit.

    Comments? Any ideas on what make/model of replacement drive might be
    suitable?

    Again, thanks in advance.

    Leachim Sredna

    Leachim Sredna, Aug 15, 2007