Problem with computer not starting up

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Landale, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. Landale

    Landale

    Hi everyone,

    I've done a lot of searching on the Internet in the last 2 hours and found a lot of topics that deal with my problem, but nothing that will allow me to really diagnose what's wrong.

    Firstly, my motherboard is a Gigabyte, model# GA-K8N51GMF-9. It requires the regular 24 pin power connector as well as the 4 pin power connector to turn on. I have had it for a little more than a year and a half now and have had 0 problems with it. Now, it is no longer turning on.

    It happened today while I was at work. I left it on for a defrag and poof...I come home and there was either an outage or a surge, but it won't turn on. Now, I'm really, REALLY hoping that it's just the power supply, but I wanted to be sure. I do not have a spare power supply handy, but I know people that I can talk to later tomorrow for assistance with that. Here is a list of everything I've done:

    -Plugged the power supply into a different, working power strip.
    -Left the computer unplugged for an hour
    -Cleared the BIOS
    -Unplugged all peripherals, fans, and all but 1 RAM chip
    -Used the reset button to turn try to turn it on by switching its jumpers

    The effects of trying to turn it on:
    -If the power supply is freshly plugged in, the fans twitch. All subsequent attempts are met with nothing, not even a twitch.
    -If the power supply is freshly plugged in, and the 12V 4pin connector is NOT plugged into the motherboard, the computer turns on, but there are no beeps, nor does anything respond (the CD-ROM, for instance, won't open)....is this normal behavior? I've never tried it without the 4pin power connector when it was working normally.

    From what I've been reading, it sounds like it's just the power supply, and I'm holding out hope for that, but it worries me that I didn't even hear a beep when I didn't have the 4pin connector plugged in. Can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem?

    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help.
    ~Landale

    Landale, Aug 10, 2007
  2. Landale

    Landale

    It's fixed. It was indeed the power supply. Bought a new one and it's working fine now.

    Landale, Aug 11, 2007