Problem with FX5200 Personal Cinema and DirectX9 - serial reboots

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Cameron, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    I'm hoping someone here can help, because I'm pretty much at the end
    of my rope here. Here are my system specs:

    HARDWARE
    ========
    Motherboard: MSI KT6V-LSR
    RAM: 2x 512MB Infineon PC3200 DDR
    CPU: Athlon XP2500+
    Video: MSI FX5200 Personal Cinema 128MB
    HDD: Maxtor 160GB
    CDROM: MSI DVD/CDRW Combo

    SOFTWARE
    ========
    Windows XP Home SP1
    All available Windows Updates
    Norton SystemWorks 2003
    MSI bundled drivers and software
    MSIDVD
    MSI Personal Cinema
    MSI Live Update 3

    The problem is, I get serial reboots (computer boots to desktop, then
    reboots within a few seconds) unless I start in safe mode, or use
    MSConfig to disable all startup items. Enabling even a single startup
    item, no matter what it is (NVCPL, any of the Norton tasks, etc)
    results in serial reboots.

    Troubleshooting steps taken so far:
    =======================
    Replace RAM - (single 512 or 2x512) no effect
    Replace motherboard (same model) - no effect
    Replace video card (same model) - no effect
    Replace CPU (same model) - no effect
    Replace power supply (w/ 450W) - no effect
    Update all drivers, MBD BIOS, VGA BIOS, DVD/CDRW BIOS w/ Live Update 3
    - no effect
    Install Windows XP but don't install any Windows Updates - computer
    functions normally
    Install DirectX 9.0b - serial reboots
    Roll back to DirectX 8.1 - computer functions normally
    Install DirectX 9.0a - serial reboots
    Replace video card (GeForce MX440) - computer functions normally

    Throughout this whole process, Windows XP was reinstalled clean about
    five times - just to be sure the issue wasn't caused by file
    corruption in the install.

    Anyone have any suggestions? Do I have to go with a different video
    card? Or is there something obvious I've missed?

    Cameron, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Cameron

    raj Guest

    did you try differnt mobo? try taking the card to a friends computer adn see
    if it works could be mobo issue? and how aobut agp slot, does it it have any
    screws aroud it that could disrupt the agp slot on mobo
    casung shorts and therfore making computer reboot?

    raj, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Cameron

    Stanlin877 Guest

    Use to be I couldn't get past the login screen. Turrns out as soon as I
    pulled my Muse 5.1 soundcard I had no problems.

    I assume this problem started when you installed the Fx5200? You just have
    to find what is conflicting with the card. Have u looked in Device Manger to
    see if there are any problems there?

    Do you have the lastest drivers for your 5200 and other cards? I just
    reinstalled my Muse 5.1 and now it works great, no more bootup problems.
    This after not using the card for a year! I assume this is because of some
    updated driver Either the Nvida driver, because the Muses drivers are the
    same.

    hth
    Stan877

    Stanlin877, Feb 18, 2004