Problem with Hitachi 5K80 Hard Drive in Toshiba 1415-173 Laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by HPLeft, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. HPLeft

    HPLeft Guest

    Hi all,

    I purchased a Hitachi 5K80, 5400rpm, 8 meg cache, 40 gig drive, from
    Zipzoomfly, to replace the stock IBM Travelstar 4200 rpm drive (2 meg cache)
    that shipped with my Toshiba 1415-173 (Celeron 1.8, 512 RAM). I installed
    the new Hitachi 5K80 drive twice, once using an image of the original drive,
    once using the recovery discs for my Toshiba machine. In both installs, the
    drive ran, but everything was moving at a snail's pace - with the Windows
    hourglass constantly on the screen when I tried to do anything. I even
    brought the machine into my Toshiba Service Center, and the technician
    confirmed that the drive didn't appear to be spinning very quickly. So I
    sent the drive back to zipzoomfly. Their technician tells me that the drive
    tests fine.

    So, I'm wondering. Could this newer drive be somehow incompatible with a
    circa 2002 Toshiba laptop? Once I snapped back in my old stock Travelstar
    drive, the machine was working perfectly again. I know that I set the
    jumpers properly on the drives. And zipzoomfly is telling me that the drive
    tests perfectly. In short, I'm clueless. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,

    Matt C

    HPLeft, Nov 8, 2003