    up. Just freezes and sits there.
    Display on the screen reports a crazy disk size.

    What could be wrong. Please help.

    bvkiran, Aug 27, 2004

  2. bvkiran

    Tim Guest

    What could be wrong? You just listed the things that are wrong.

    When you put a disc drive in a computer the geometry settings must match the
    drive or you will get errors. On all modern motherboards, the custom is to
    always use the Auto setting. Old systems do not have Auto and had to have
    cylinder / head / sector etc. (CHS) set manually.

    By allowing the computer to try to boot with conflicting CHS settings, you
    have also probably allowed it to write to the disc using those settings.
    This has probably corrupted the disc.

    The disc geometry is used in determining where on the physical disc blocks
    are read from or written to. When a disc is used at a specific setting, then
    all calculations that go from Logical disc addresses (in the OS) to CHS (or
    LBA) use these parameters to work out which CHS is asked for on the drive,
    so if the CHS are changed then the resulting request to the drive changes
    and so becomes wrong.

    Unfortunately, the IDE standard says something along the lines of disc
    drives accepting whatever parameters they are given - some drives will
    supposedly default to the correct settings if the values that they are asked
    to use are wrong, but this is not a requirement :(

    If you were trying to use this drive as a boot disc, then you are out of
    luck on that front too as the two systems are extremely different: AMD ->
    Intel to start with. Under XP you would *have* to do a Repair (or new)
    install to be able to boot the OS on the disc, followed by installation of
    motherboard and other drivers, critical updates and patches etc.

    At this point, I would expect the drive to be corrupt.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 28, 2004