Problem with INTEL D865GBF BIOS - cannot modify values

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Jean-Claude Grailet, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I just built a new PC using an INTEL D865GBF mainboard (BIOS release
    13).

    The board is working properly (I think so) and I was able to install
    an OS from scratch (The HD is new then it boots from the CD).

    After, I had to install an other OS also booting from the CD and
    therefore it wanted to select the CD as first boot device.

    I keyed F2 during the POST and the BIOS is displayed. Fine but
    unfortunately, the keyboard didn't react to any keystroke.

    I tried the same operation many times without success. When entering
    the BIOS, the keyboad seems to be disabled and I must cut the power to
    stop the computer.

    I've the same result with the BIOS jumper in 'maintenance/setup'
    position. The maintenace screen is displayed but I cannot change
    values or even move the cursor.

    I also tried with an other keyboard, removing part or swapping the
    memories board, adding an external video board (When you have no clue
    of what happens, you try everything)

    Before trying a BIOS flash update (I don't like to do that due to
    previous bad experiences), I would like to know if the same happenned
    to someone else.
    Maybe, I missed something and there is a feature that protects the
    BIOS against changes.

    Thanks in advance for any feedback

    /Jean-claude

    Jean-Claude Grailet, Apr 4, 2004

  2. I had a similar problem with a 875PBZ.

    To remediate the problem I had to use the advanced features of Intel Express
    installer, i.e. the force switch (f).

    I always prior to a flash, load the optimal settings in the BIOS and save
    and exit.

    Instructions for the Advanced Mode of the Installer is located at the Intel
    BIOS site for your board.

    I use a PS/2 KB and Mouse

    Jim

    James Tramutolo, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Jim,

    Thanks for your answer.

    In fact, I was able to successfully update the BIOS with the online
    express tool and now I've release 14 on the board(the last one).
    Unfortunately, I've the same results, the BIOS main screen is
    displayed when pressing F2 during POST but I cannot move the cursor
    and cannot enter/modify any value. After entering setup, the only
    thing I can do is cutting the power.

    As everything else is working, I don't think it's a bug in the BIOS,
    therefore they should be somewhere an hidden function to allow access
    to the BIOS values

    Jean-Claude Grailet, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Jean-Claude Grailet

    Guess Who Guest

    Do you have a PS/2 keyboard attached? You can also try removing the case
    fan headers from the motherboard, if you have the fans connected to the
    motherboard. DO NOT unplug the CPU fan, just the case fans. I had a problem
    in an earlier Intel board that would freeze when I went into the BIOS, one
    the case fans I had was not up to spec and made the hardware monitoring
    cause the BIOS to lock up.

    Do you even see the category headers up on top, and the options listed in
    the first page of the BIOS? Does the clock count up? (Generally, the clock
    should be on the first page of the BIOS screen) You might also try removing
    the maintenance jumper while the system is unplugged, then removing the CMOS
    battery and leaving it all off for a few minutes.

    This is strange, as I have never seen the BIOS locked out before, except on
    customized motherboards (like Dell or Compaq) but even still, they at least
    allow access to the EXIT function. Have you tried to enter the BIOS in
    maintenance mode while the jumper was set to "maintenance"?

    Guess Who, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Yes, it's really strange

    The BIOS main screen is fully displayed but I'm sticked with the
    cursor on the first editable element (Hyper-threading technology
    enabled).
    The clock is running.

    I did the check with the case fan disconnected but without success.
    I also tried with everything disconnected (except the power switch).

    I putted the jumper in maintenance mode with the same result.
    I tried with 3 different keyboards.

    I built my PC (and a lot for friends) for more than 15 years and it's
    the first time I have this kind of problem.

    Because it's a new board I could ask for an exchange but as everything
    else is working (The computer is able to run Microsoft sh.. then it's
    a proof of excellence), I wonder how it could be a hardware problem
    and I would like like to understand what happens.

    Jean-Claude Grailet, Apr 6, 2004
  6. Jean-Claude Grailet

    Bob Bailin Guest

    A couple of more things to try:

    Remove all PCI cards and all cables (IDE, floppy) and all other
    connections except the power switch. Remove all memory DIMMs
    and power up the system. You should get a warning beep that there's
    no memory present, but somehow this resets the cmos settings to a
    more usable state.

    Put just one DIMM back in Bank 0. Power up the system and
    see if the keyboard now works properly. It must be a PS/2
    keyboard. Go into BIOS setup and load the default setup parameters
    (not the saved parameters).

    If this doesn't work, try re-flashing the BIOS using the DOS method
    if you can boot to DOS and have usable keyboard, or using the
    bootblock method that just uses a working floppy drive and the
    beep codes.

    If neither of these fix the problem, then you definitely have a
    defective motherboard.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Apr 7, 2004
  7. A couple of more things to try:

    Now, I think I've tried everything.
    I removed all disks, memory,..., no way.
    I install a floppy and reflash from the floppy.
    I removed and then reinstall the battery. I had the message "CMOS
    invalid checksum" which is correct. Press F4 to enter setup and I was
    not able to press F4.

    Then I tried to press F10 during post (in order to select the boot
    device), I receive the boot device menu but cannot select something.

    Definetely, the keyboard is not working in the BIOS. I wonder how it
    is working with Windows (by the hell, it should also use the BIOS !)
    but I decided that I've waste too many time.

    As the board was dead on arrival, I will request an exchange to my
    distributor.

    Thanks to all for your advices.

    Jean-Claude Grailet, Apr 7, 2004
  9. Jean-Claude Grailet

    Guess Who Guest

    If you enter the BIOS, do any of the F keys work? (f1 for help, etc)? What
    kind of mouse do you have, USB or PS/2? If it's a USB mouse, try pulling it
    out and entering BIOS. Either way, try pulling out the mouse and entering
    BIOS.

    What arrow keys are you using on the keyboard when in BIOS? The Number Pad
    arrows or the separate up, down, left, right arrow keys? If the number
    arrows, make sure the NumLock is OFF.

    Do these arrow keys work in windows?

    Just a few more things to try.

    Also, if you have a windows95 or Windows98 boot disc, boot from it (if
    possible) to enter the DOS command prompt and see if you can type anything
    in the A:> prompt. This will at least tell you if the keyboard CAN
    communicate with the board prior to windows loading. But then again, if you
    can enter the BIOS, the keyboard must be communicating.

    Also make sure the keyboard is connected in the CORRECT port.

    I don't mean to imply you don't know what you're doing - but sometimes it's
    the simplest things that are the hardest to figure out. Good luck.

    Guess Who, Apr 8, 2004
  10. Keyboard and Mouse are of type PS/2

    F keys are not working when I am in the BIOS (even during POST).
    For example, when I remove part of the memory, I receive the message
    "Memory has decreased press F4 to continue" or something similar and
    I'm not able to press any key.

    The same after having removed the battery, I was not to press the F
    key needed to continue with POST and entering setup. I had to cut the
    power.

    Anyway, now it will be solved as I'm waiting UPS with a new board.

    Cheers

    /JC

    Jean-Claude Grailet, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Jean-Claude Grailet

    Garre Guest

    I keyed F2 during the POST and the BIOS is displayed. Fine but

    Please, when entering in the BIOS, simply unplug your keyboad and then
    plug it.

    Set the bios keyboard setup option in "off" position.

    I have detected the same problen in 865 PERL.

    Sorry by my bad english.

    Garre, Apr 15, 2004