Problem with L4SMG/651+. A lightning strike.

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Carl Stanley, May 23, 2004.

  1. Carl Stanley

    Carl Stanley Guest

    Problem with L4SMG/651+. A lightning strike.

    A friend bought a computer on TV.
    When it arrived, they plugged it into a utility power strip and a
    phone jack. A lightning strike destroyed the TV and VCR.
    The computer stopped working as well.

    The motherboard is the L4SMG/651+. 120GB hard drive. 512MB PC2700
    DDRRAM.

    When it came to me, it did nothing except the power supply fan and the
    CPU fan spun.

    I pilled the modem and tried again. This time I got a long beep. There
    is no video, which is built in, as is the sound.

    When I push the case's power button, it powers up ok, but does not
    power down. I must turn off the power supply switch.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    I would really appreciate some help.

    Carl

    Carl Stanley, May 23, 2004

  2. carlestanley> [ ... ] A lightning strike destroyed the TV and VCR. The
    carlestanley> computer stopped working as well. [ ... ] When I push the
    carlestanley> case's power button, it powers up ok, but does not power
    carlestanley> down. I must turn off the power supply switch. Anyone have
    carlestanley> any ideas? [ ... ]

    Odds are some critical components on the motherboard is destroyed. You
    can buy similar replacement motherboards fairly cheaply. It is also
    likely/hoped that nothing else is damaged, but that depends on luck.

    Piercarlo Grandi, May 23, 2004