problem with Mail.app attachments to AOL?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Art Werschulz, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Hi.

    I'm running MacOS X 10.2.6 on a G4 iMac.

    Two folks with AOL accounts have complained that attachments that I
    have sent them come out as "gibberish". What they mean is that when
    they read the mail, they see the raw MIME encoding of the attachment.
    One of these people has a G4 iMac running Mac OS X; the other has a
    Wintel box.

    I did some experimentation, sending each of them a M$Word file and a
    PDF file from my computer. The person with the Wintel box said that
    both of these produced gibberish. The one with the iMac saw gibberish
    for the Word file, but was OK with the PDF.

    For fun, I also sent these folks a PDF file from a Linux box, using
    emacs RMAIL-mode with the "attach" package. Both of them received
    said atachment OK.

    I'm having trouble finding the "point of failure" here, i.e., the
    exact set of circumstances causing attached mail to fail. Has anybody
    come across this problem before? If so, have you found a solution?

    Thanks.

    Art Werschulz, Sep 22, 2003