problem with onboard broadcom lan in shuttle sb75g2

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by .., Jul 17, 2004.

  1. ..

    .. Guest

    This is a brand new barebones system I put together Thursday. Here's what's
    inside:
    p4 3.0 800mhz prescott
    1 gb ram
    radeon 9800pro
    broadcom netxtreme gigabit lan (onboard)
    realtek audio (onboard)
    usb, firewire, sata, etc
    sata hard drive, liteon dvd
    phoenix bios

    The problem I am having occurs with both XP Pro sp1 and Win2k sp2 (didn't
    bother to patch when the same behavior as XP occured immediately). After
    applying sp1 to xp, I go to install the latest broadcom drivers (march of
    this year), the drivers install, then the system becomes unstable eventually
    blue screening. If I disable the device via the hardware manager it works
    fine. However, even after adding an old 3c905 xp will not recognize/install
    it. So esentially, I have a system that will do everything but get on the
    network.

    I have read some about people having irq conflicts with onboard broadcom
    chips, mostly on asus board. However, I am at a loss on how to resolve the
    problem in the SB75G2. I am about ready to drop this thing out the window,
    or maybe return it, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    -Sean

    .., Jul 17, 2004

  2. ..

    logized Guest

    Did the problem occur with the Shuttle supplied drivers on the CD? Although
    the shuttle driver version is older, it may be better for the onboard
    version of the broadcom 5788.
    Also, there is a Broadcom management/diags utility "BACS" supplied on the CD
    \MgmtApps subdirectory which can be installed.
    I don't have this machine, is it possible to change the irq from the bios? -
    you may have to use ctrl-s to access the network bios.
    If all else fails, there is a DOS diags utility available from Broadcom's
    site - http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php

    Dave

    logized, Jul 17, 2004