    and I can see the CD-ROM in Windows and read from it etc.

    What is wrong?

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Paul Guest

    I don't know if Skymaster has a web site, but tracing the product
    down, it looks to be popular in Australia. One site mentions it
    has a Silicon Image controller on it, which would possibly lead
    here. CMD is a company that Silicon Image bought (or vice versa,
    don't know the details), and apparently the 0680 can be
    "abused" to make a software RAID or can be used as an ATA
    controller.

    http://www.siimage.com/products/sii0680.asp

    The Siimage page says a default Microsoft IDE driver will work ?

    The weak link, will be the BIOS flashed into the IDE controller.
    The BIOS would have support for whatever I/O calls are needed
    at boot time, and perhaps when the BIOS is loaded from the card,
    there is a conflict or a problem with that BIOS. I would try
    and find a flasher for the card, and try to bring it up to date.

    It pays to always check out a company making hardware (Skymaster
    in this case), to make sure they have a support page, that
    they have a good history in Google, and that the support page
    appears to have regularly updated firmware/drivers. I'm sure
    you paid good money for that card, and probably could have had
    a Promise/Highpoint/Adaptec/whatever in its place.

    I think this post in Google, found by searching for CMD0680
    says it all. I don't think this needs to be translated :-(

    "Dann ist alles klar. CMD-Controller sind seit jeher
    buggy und inperformant (dafuer halt sehr billig). Ich kann
    nur sagen: Finger weg davon. Man hat nichts als Aerger und
    Performance-Probleme."

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Thanx for the detailed reply.

    Skymaster don't have a website apparently :( but many of their other
    products seem to work OK

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 6, 2004