Problem with SparcStation IPX

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Hallo!

    I got a SparcStation IPX before christmas, but it has a problem:
    (diag-switch? = true)

    ----SNIP----
    Power-Up State Test
    Context Register Bit Test
    Context Register Addressing Test
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000000
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000001
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000002
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000003
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000004
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000005
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000006
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000007
    Page Map RAM MATS Pattern Test
    Limit 0 Register Test
    Counter Interrupt Level 10 Test
    ERROR: Unexpected Trap (tt = 00000011)
    PSR = 900000c6 TBR = ffe81110 WIM = 00000000 PC = ffe8784c
    SER = 00000000 SEVAR = 00000000 AER = 00000000 AEVAR =
    00000000Setting Segment Map
    Setting RAM Parity Mode
    Mode set to 33-bit
    Sizing Memory
    Mapping ROM
    Mapping RAM
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 0,0 dma esp sd st le
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 1,0 Nothing there
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 2,0 Nothing there
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 3,0 cgsix
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 0,0 dma esp sd st le
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 1,0 Nothing there
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 2,0 Nothing there
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 3,0 cgsix

    SPARCstation IPX, No Keyboard
    ROM Rev. 2.9, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #16777215.
    Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID: ffffffff.

    The IDPROM contents are invalid

    Power-On SelfTest FAILED ... Unexpected Trap (tt = 11)

    Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)----SNAP----

    I tried the following steps already:

    - I took out the RAM and re-inserted it (4 SIMMs a 16 MB), the seller
    told me, they worked in another computer
    - I took off all floppy and SCSI cables
    - I removed the NVRAM-chip (the seller added an external battery to it)
    (the message about the IDPROM appeared after the IPX ran once without
    the NVRAM)
    - I removed the mainboard and re-inserted it.

    But nothing helped so far.
    Has anyone an idea what this trap 11 means??
    The command ".traps" only told me that it is some kind of interrupt.
    But I did not find what device generates this interrupt...

    Thanks,
    Christian

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=, Jan 21, 2005

  2. have a look at http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
    the host id: ffffffff is no god !
    /Jörgen

    Jorgen Moquist, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Jorgen Moquist wrote:

    Hi!
    Hmm... Okay, perhaps I need to reprogram the NVRAM.

    Before I took out the NVRAM, it looked like this when starting:

    ----SNIP----
    Power-Up State Test
    Context Register Bit Test
    Context Register Addressing Test
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000000
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000001
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000002
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000003
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000004
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000005
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000006
    Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000007
    Page Map RAM MATS Pattern Test
    Limit 0 Register Test
    Counter Interrupt Level 10 Test
    ERROR: Unexpected Trap (tt = 00000011)
    PSR = 900000c6 TBR = ffe81110 WIM = 00000000 PC = ffe8784c
    SER = 00000000 SEVAR = 00000000 AER = 00000000 AEVAR =
    00000000Setting Sp
    Setting RAM Parity Mode
    Mode set to 33-bit
    Sizing Memory
    Mapping ROM
    Mapping RAM
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 0,0 dma esp sd st le
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 1,0 tr
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 2,0 Nothing there
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 3,0 cgsix
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 0,0 dma esp sd st le
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 1,0 tr
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 2,0 Nothing there
    Probing /[email protected],f8000000 at 3,0 cgsix

    SPARCstation IPX, No Keyboard
    ROM Rev. 2.9, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #782936.
    Ethernet address 8:0:20:b:f2:58, Host ID: 570bf258.

    Power-On SelfTest FAILED ... Unexpected Trap (tt = 11)

    Type help for more information
    ok
    ----SNAP----

    Ciao,
    Christian

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=, Jan 21, 2005
  4. i dont know what, Unexpected Trap (tt = 11) is
    /Jörgen

    Jorgen Moquist, Jan 21, 2005
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=

    Dave Guest

    One might question if its worth you hassle messing with this. Even if
    you get it working (it seems like your NVRAM has died), you are very
    unlikly to have a machine you are happy with. SPARCstation 20's are dirt
    cheap on eBay, and will knock the spots off the IPX. Ultra 1's are
    probably a better buy, as they will run Solaris 10, but cost a little more.

    Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassle of trying to get an IPX
    working. Others will disagree of course.

    Dave, Jan 23, 2005
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=

    Josh McKee Guest

    I've heard that Solaris 10 is not supported on the Ultra 1 processor.
    Has this changed?

    Josh

    Josh McKee, Jan 23, 2005
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=

    Dave Guest

    I've heard that Solaris 10 is not supported on the Ultra 1 processor.
    Has this changed?

    Josh[/QUOTE]
    Don't know. I thought it worked on Ultra class machiens, but may be not
    the very oldest of them.

    I looked on eBay and see Ultra 1 170's going for £30 (around $55) in the
    UK. I suspect they would be less in the US. It still brings into
    question whether its worth messing about with an IPX.

    Someone must know the status on Solaris 10. Not sure if I'll bother
    upgrading my U80 - not for a year or so anyway.

    Dave, Jan 23, 2005
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=

    Josh McKee Guest

    Don't know. I thought it worked on Ultra class machiens, but may be not
    the very oldest of them.[/QUOTE]

    I believe that it isn't supported with the Ultra 1 processor. If that's
    the case an Ultra 2 with Ultra I processors will not be support with
    Solaris 10.
    It depends on what you mean by "messing about". It can be a useable
    system depending on the task and configuration of the system. However
    it's not worth putting money into. If it can't be used as it currently
    is then you'd be better off buying a different system.

    Josh

    Josh McKee, Jan 23, 2005
  9. Dave wrote:

    Hi!
    The NVRAM worked before I took it out...

    My problem remains:
    What does this "trap 11" mean??
    Noone could tell me this...
    Sorry, but I don't think that you can know what I will be happy with.
    Besides the SS10 (see below), I have also a Apple Macintosh SE/30, which
    I am very happy with, it does its jobs very well.
    I like old computers...
    I already have a SPARCstation 10 with 2xSM51 inside, but I like to have
    this small box up and running again.
    Me, for example.

    Bye,
    Christian

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=, Jan 23, 2005
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Na=DF?=

    Bob Healey Guest

    <snip>

    Those small formfactor cases can be useful for when not a lot of power is
    needed and space is at a premium. I've got an IPC serving as the TFTP/RARP
    server for netbooting a bunch of bigger boxes that are lacking in the disk
    dept. Small machine, does everything I need.

    Bob

    Bob Healey, Jan 24, 2005
  11. Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassle of trying to get an IPX
    I have a Sparcstation IPX board that is useless to me.
    (Basically the cache chip has stopped working, and i have found it
    impossible to get hold of another one) Its also now missing a NVRAM.

    Other than the Cache problem, the POST works fine.

    (Oh the possible other thing, I'm sure its not a problem, but do you
    have any SBUS cards pluged in the box? i have found some of them cause
    problems with my IPC which is supposedly similar)

    If you want the board, email me and i'll post it to you.

    Graham

    graham salkin, Jan 25, 2005