problem with Thinkpad T20 battery charging

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ghanwani, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. ghanwani

    ghanwani Guest

    I've been having some problems with battery charging
    related to going into suspend mode.

    With my previous battery, everything seemed to work.
    Regardless of whether the laptop was in suspend, hibernate
    or working, if the battery was < 100% charged and if it
    was plugged in, the battery would charge.

    However, that battery lost its ability to hold a charge
    and I replaced it. With the new battery, charging would
    work fine, except when I put in suspend mode. When in
    suspend, it wouldn't charge. When brought out of suspend,
    I would have to disconnect and reconnect the charger cable
    in order to get it to start charging. However, this
    problem would not happen when going into hibernate and
    getting out.

    And then, yesterday, I decided to upgrade the BIOS (1.22).
    Now, when I put it in suspend, the battery will not charge
    unless the computer is shutdown and restarted. This is
    bit of a pain, as it means that I pretty much cannot suspend
    without having to shutdown!
    I would appreciate any help/ideas for fixing this.

    Thanks,
    Anoop

    ghanwani, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Is the 'new' battery a real live IBM battery or some cheap ripoff?
    Many device manufacturers are getting paranoid about liability issues
    related to exploding lithium batteries, and won't work {well,
    properly, at all} with off-brand batteries. Maybe the smart charger
    chip in your new battery isn't quite compatable with your old one...

    Just a thought...

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 15, 2004

  3. ghanwani

    ghanwani Guest

    It is an OEM battery that I bought from a seller on eBay.
    Buying a battery from IBM costs a lot (about 2x) more.

    Anoop

    ghanwani, Dec 15, 2004
  4. ghanwani

    jakdedert Guest

    Any suspicion that you simply got a bad one?

    FWIW, I had an old 560 which quit charging the batteries (I had two good
    ones) after I changed out the mb for a used one, because it got flakey. I
    thought it a converter board issue, but it failed to solve the problem when
    I replaced it as well.

    jak

    jakdedert, Dec 15, 2004
  5. ghanwani

    John Doue Guest

    I am not sure this will help you but as the owner of a brandnew R51, I
    can tell you that the IBM software that monitors the charging of the
    battery has caused me problems: sometimes, the battery will not charge,
    the AC adapter just provides the juice to run the machine. This has to
    do also, I really believe, with going into suspend: the program
    certainly does not resume adaquately. This is no big nuisance for me and
    I have not yet experimented disabling this utility from startup. But may
    be you should look into this, check if some IBM software is monitoring
    the charging of the battery and disable it to see what happens.

    Hope this helps

    John

    John Doue, Dec 15, 2004
  6. ghanwani

    ghanwani Guest

    Hi all,

    Thanks for the responses. I think I have found the problem
    and it looks like it's quite a common one.
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/19920/19920.html
    Doing as the above website suggests, I was able to get
    the system working normally! I thought I'd post my
    findings to the group as it may be of help to others in
    the future.

    Anoop

    ghanwani, Dec 18, 2004